31 Halloween Movies To Watch In October

31 Must-Watch Movies To Get You In The Halloween Mood

"This is Halloween! This is Halloween!"

282

This month, Freeform, formerly known as ABC Family, released their '31 Nights of Halloween' TV schedule for this October. Yes, 31 days of Halloween instead of the usual 13 days they do every year. Many people, including myself, may have gotten really excited by this news. That is until they saw the movie list.

While Freeform has some classic films like "The Nightmare Before Christmas," "Monsters, Inc." and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" on the list, they have a lot of movies you wouldn't want to be watching to get in the Halloween spirit. Movies like "Frozen" and "The Parent Trap" have remotely nothing to do with Halloween.

So, in the spooky spirit, I decided to craft a list of 31 movies to watch during Halloween month that are much better than the one Freeform put out.

Now, before I start, I understand that Freeform does not have the rights to every movie I mention on this list. Yes, their movie options are limited, but changing 13 nights to 31 nights only to have "Hocus Pocus" on there more than eight nights is embarrassing.

1. "Practical Magic" (1998)

Vix

This movie is underrated. I only watched it for the first time because of my mom, but I'm glad I did, because it just has that perfect '90s combination of comedy and horror that everyone will love.

2. "Coraline" (2009)

Laika

The classic children's movie that scared you as a kid and made you think about your "other" parents.

3. "Scream" (1996)

Dazed Digital

At #3, we've reached the pinnacle of Halloween classics.

4. Any "Harry Potter" Movie

Blogspot

Because what doesn't scream Halloween more than Harry Potter?

5. "Mom's Got A Date With A Vampire" (2000)

TMDb

6. "Twitches" (2005)

TMDb

I don't think I can ever listen to "Rush" by Aly&AJ and not think about this movie.

7. "Twitches 2" (2007)

YouTube

8. "Battle Royale" (2000)

sondermag

If you haven't heard or read "Battle Royale," you need to hop on it stat. "Battle Royale" centers around 42 kids who are sent to a deserted island to kill each other. Their goal is to be the last one standing, as that's the only way you're allowed to leave the island.

9. "Scooby-Doo and The Witch's Ghost" (1999)

Vignette

Scooby-Doo Halloween movies are slept on. They have such a great creepy and humorous element to them, plus it's always fun to try and solve the mystery before the gang does. And who didn't want to be a Hex Girl?

10. "Scooby-Doo And The Goblin King" (2008)

Halloween Movies

11. "Casper" (1995)

Throwbacks

12. "Paranormal Activity" (2007)

Space

Bad camera filming quality makes for easier jumps cares.

13. "The Nightmare Before Christmas" (1993)

Pinimg

"This is Halloween!"

14. "Halloweentown" (1998)

Bustle

This is undoubtedly the movie that every kid looked forward to during Disney's "Monstober" month.

15.  "Halloweentown II: Kalabar's Revenge" (2001)

Static

Let's be real. No matter how much you hated Kal as a kid, he was one hot villain.

16. "Halloweentown High" (2004)

TV Spielfilm

The best "Halloweentown" movie in the series. Cassie is still my favorite character from this film.

17. "Monsters Inc." (2001)

Scott Santens

18. "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory" (2005)

Digital Spy

Chocolate, Oompa-Loompas and nails on a chalkboard-level annoying kids. The perfect child Halloween movie.

19. "Tower of Terror" (1997)

Gizmodo

20. "Poltergiest" (1982)

Ytimg

21. "The Haunted Mansion" (2003)

Vimeo

I remember watching this movie as a kid and laughing at so many scenes just because of how much this movie reminded me of my family. I also remember crying towards the end of the movie, so if you like kid comedy-horror movies that make you cry, then this is the one for you.

22. "Beetlejuice" (1988)

Collider

Beetlejuice, beetlejuice, beetlejuice.

23. "Halloween" (1978)

Letterboxd

Guiltily, I have yet to see this movie, which is absurd because how can one be a Halloween-devotee and not see a movie titled "Halloween"? Also, Jamie Lee Curtis is in it, which means it's got to be something.

24. "Venom" (2018)

Geeky Rant

Although not out until later this October in theaters, "Venom" looks like a good anti-hero Halloween movie!

25. "The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" (1966)

Grantland

The most wholesome, kid-friendly Halloween movie you'll find.

26. "IT" (1990)

Little White Lies

The root cause for why everyone is afraid of clowns.

27. "The Corpse Bride" (2005)

Fan Pop

28. "Nightmare on Elm Street" (1989)

Enclave Decine

29. "Labriynth" (1986)

Bloody Disgusting

If you haven't held a crystal ball before and pretend you have the power, you didn't have a fun childhood.

30. "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" (1975)

i.kinja-img

31. "Ghostbusters" (1984)

Blogspot

"Who you gonna call?"

If you have free time, lots of snacks and DVDs/ PutLocker, there is no reason for you to not watch any movie (or 31) from this list. You only really get to celebrate Halloween and spooky things for two months without people asking you why you're watching "Halloweentown" in the middle of May. Enjoy the movies, procrastinate homework and get spooky.