The Spongebob Musical Is Just What The World Needs

It's about time there was another play that isn’t afraid to be a silly to help audiences unplug, even for just a little while.

100
Breana Pietrosanti

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
Spongebob Squarepants!

Everyone’s favorite sponge has moved his pineapple from the depths of Bikini Bottom to the heart New York City: Times Square. Currently in previews at the Palace Theater, which is quite literally in the middle of everything, “Spongebob SquarePants: The Broadway Musical” truly is the musical for everyone.

Now, after the cast performed “Bikini Bottom Day” at this year’s “Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade,” there was a ton of backlash. As someone who saw it just the Friday before, in its mere second week of previews, I’m here to say: this show is one the world needs, and it really deserves a fighting chance.

The play follows Spongebob, his best friends, and the entire city of Bikini Bottom as they face the threat of a local volcano erupting and destroying their home. The wacky plot is accompanied by music written by major stars such as “Panic! At the Disco,” Cyndi Lauper and Sara Bareilles (who have each written their own Broadway musicals), and even a modified version of “No Control” by the late, great David Bowie. I’ll be the first to admit that the jumbled plot and wide variety of songwriters didn’t make for the best flow at times...

But the cast and a universal love of Spongebob are what "reel" audiences in.

This show is truly such a treat. I can honestly say I saw this at the right time. It was goofy, nostalgic (“Is mayonnaise an instrument?”) and full-on fun.

Everyone in the cast was killer, but I need to tip my hat to Ethan Slater, who plays the most famous sponge of all time in his Broadway debut. He flipped between silly and theatrical at all the right places. During “Just A Simple Sponge,” there was not a jaw in the audience that wasn’t on the ground as Slater belted his heart out.

Not only did this play come to me at the right time, but I think it’s coming to the world at the right time, too. The Chicago Tribune called it “the yellow tonic that Broadway, and its fans across America, sorely need” and I think that is the best way to sum up the play.

It takes you back to your childhood (or if you want to take little ones, give them a fresh way to see Spongebob). This play will have you laughing at jokes new and old from the beloved cartoon series. One of my favorite tongue-in-cheek jokes was Pearl finally realizing that her and her dad being different species is “really weird”.

In an industry, and a world, that takes itself a little too seriously at times, it’s refreshing to see a play that isn’t afraid to be a silly to help audiences unplug for two hours.

December 4th marks opening night for the citizens of Bikini Bottom, you can grab tickets for "Spongebob The Musical" here! Nineties babies like me certainly won't want to miss this show.