Spoiling the Already Spoiled

Spoiling the Already Spoiled

How to celebrate Respect Your Cat Day on March 28, or any other day of the year, because who are we kidding.

17
Spoiling the Already Spoiled
Franki Hanke

There’s a day of the year dedicated to anything and everything, but in a tumultuous life why wouldn’t we want something to celebrate on an otherwise regular ‘ole day. These days are especially important for those who have the hardest lives, the most intense demands. Of all those who deserve a special reminder that life is good, it’s the ones who suffer the most: our cats.

March 28th, Respect Your Cat Day, is the perfect day to pamper the already pampered and reminder your cat that their life will always be better than yours- and that you’d have it no other way.

Get Them an Upgrade

If you’d really like the spoil your special, furry someone then upgrading one of their essentials in life could be a huge surprise- not that they’ll appreciate it.

An Edible Gift

Consider swapping out your cat’s current food for something higher quality. Take a look at your current food’s label, ingredients and amounts, and turn to something higher in fats and proteins, those are beneficial for your kitty and less carbohydrates. If you want to upgrade from dry to canned food, make sure to introduce it over time as a smaller portion.

No matter what you’re switching to and from, make sure you mix some of the new with the old to keep some consistency for the animal both psychologically and for their tummy. It makes the transition smoother.

Fresh catnip leaves to toss on top of my spoiled cat’s evening meal. A treat she loves.

If you can’t afford a whole, long-term switch, then just get your kitty a small treat. Look for a small bag of a high quality food to mix into their old stuff to just add a small infusion of new nutrients or grab a single can of wet food to give them a treat with their usual feeding or mix in some fresh catnip.

A Tall Glass of Water

If your pet’s food is already top notch or you’re not looking to juggle a new diet, consider trying some tactics to increase your pet’s water consumption, which is a huge area of issue for cat’s in particular, who tend not to drink enough.

If you’re looking for a free upgrade to make simply add more water bowls in new places, which encourages cats to drink since it's more accessible to where they’ve chosen to sleep that day.

Since upgrading to a running water bowl, my cat drinks water constantly. Way more than she ever used to!

For a bigger change, invest in a running water bowl that will provide a moving stream of water which cats tend to enjoy a lot more. It will take your pet a bit to adjust to it though, so give them time.

Give Them a Grooming Spa Day

If you’re often too busy to do anything past letting your cat bathe themselves, consider taking the time to take care of what they can’t do themselves. Sit down with a brush for a half an hour or break out the nail clippers- though they might not appreciate it, taking care of your pet will eventually benefit them.

If you’ve never clipped your cat’s nails before yourself, the number one rule is to be calm. You freaking out will only freak them out. Second, if you’re unsure about how much to cut off, cut off less. Shoot to just trim the very tip off and trim more often in those little bits than to accidentally hurt your fur baby.

Just Take Some Time

If all else fails, the best way to treat your pet to something special is to take some time with them. Ultimately, though your cat sure doesn’t show it, you’re their whole life.

Playtime can be the best gift- for everyone involved!

Spend some time with their favorite cat teaser or petting them. If they seem disinterested, sit on the floor or someplace they tend to want your attention and make yourself available. Make your lap open, shake a bottle of treats, and put away the phone. Take some time to really focus on that special bond that can make anyone feel like a crazy cat lady when they look up at you with little squinty eyes and a rumbling purr.