Spoiling Babies is My Job

Spoiling Babies is My Job

I'm not ready for my own baby. But I will spoil my friend's kids.

66
Spoiling Babies is My Job
Makalae Stephens (My own photo*

I think one of the most terrifying moments in my life was when I got a text from my friend that she was in labor. There is one big reason why I was terrified, the baby was coming four months early. It was a year and a few months ago at 6 o' clock in the morning. I was at work, it was truck day so I had to be there early.

I just remember getting her text. I texted her back almost immediately asking what was going on. And when I got off work that day, I received my first picture of the little man that has won my heart.

I met him when he was only a month old, still in the incubator and barely weighed a pound. All I could think was how could someone so fragile exist. I mean he was the first baby I have been around besides family. I visited him a lot with my friend while he was at the NICU, the Newborn Intensive Care Unit at the hospital. This baby boy was there for four long months before he was able to go home with his mommy.

I was and still am there for my friend. She is the one I will go to when I have children and need advice. I'm not planning to have children anytime soon. I think I'm too young to even consider it. I mean if it happens and you are financially able enough to raise your kid then go right ahead.

Within the last three years since graduating high school, I have seen everyone get engaged, married, or become pregnant. It's not uncommon to scroll through facebook to see status updates of a friend getting married. Or that they found out that they were a few weeks pregnant. I won't ignore these statuses because that is rude. I am truly happy for them. It is just always a nagging question in the back of my head.

Are we too young? Should we consider that we have the rest of our lives to do these things? Maybe, but it is your ultimate choice. The people I know are great parents. And I am happy that they have someone to share the rest of their lives with or that they are having a baby and raising kids right.

I love babies. I have had moments that I wish I did have a baby because babies are adorable. With those cute faces comes responsibility not just for yourself now, but for a little mini-you that can't always tell you what's wrong or what they need.

Personally, I know I'm not ready to get married or have a baby. I have to have a boyfriend first. I mean right now, I am single and fine with being so. My life is too chaotic with just me being alone and I can't add anyone else to the chaos. So my friends can have babies and I will be there to spoil them because that's what friends that don't have babies can do. And I am totally happy to spoil the babies for now.