The App "Spinny Phone" Is Bringing Back An Old Game In A New Way

This app takes your phone and makes it into a joystick.

18
Mashable

As I was scrolling through my twitter feed this past morning, I couldn't help but pause on this one ad for a new app called Spinny Phone. I typically scroll through ads without giving them a cursory glance, but for some reason, this one caught my attention. The man in the ad had his phone pulled up and was playing this motion-sensitive game, one that took me back to elementary school with the toy "Bop It." So naturally, I decided to download it immediately.

When it finally loaded, I was surprised by the simple graphics of this game: no fancy colors, block letters, and an armature soundboard. But then I began to play, and it was similar to Flappy Bird in both frustration and addiction. I have had the app for less than a day but have already been playing it for hours, trying to up my score. The premise, like mentioned earlier, is very similar to the early 2000's child's toy, Bop It. An instruction flashes on the screen, for instance, Right, and you have to turn your phone to the right. The longer the game goes on, the harder and faster the instructions get, at one point even needing to "flip" the phone entirely to score.

Since I haven't had the app for long, my initial views as of right now are mostly positive, but there are of course the annoying ad pop-ups and required commercials that sometimes come between each new game.

The app is free on the Apple App store for download, linked here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spinny-phone/id110...