Spin Class: My New Love

Spin Class: My New Love

How spin classes have made me happier.

58
Spin Class: My New Love
Fitness 19

About a month ago during crew practice, as we did an ab workout after a strenuous erg piece, two girls announced they’d be spin instructors for the university’s new spin classes. They implored us to try it out, so naturally we attended their first classes. I was ambivalent, expecting a hard workout that I might like to do occasionally. Instead, I’m addicted.

For someone who has ridden a bike three times in eighteen years, cycling does not seem like it would appeal to me. I worried about becoming bored with the monotonous motion, but then I remembered that rowing is probably the most repetitive sport in existence, so I figured I’d be fine. Assuaged, I took my first class, and now I’m spinning at least twice a week.

I’ve become attached to the classes because of the atmosphere: purple and white string lights glow, music blasts, the instructor yells encouragement, the whir of the machines as they rise and fall in tandem. The atmosphere invigorates me, pushes me to the brink of my abilities. I step into that room and my worries vanish. Each rotation spurs me further from the pressure of juggling practice, presentations and papers while preserving a social life.

Another aspect of my new obsession that compels me to return each week is the lack of worry I feel over the workout itself. As with any athlete, I sometimes dread going to practice because, even though my main motivation to row is love for the sport and having fun, I am always trying to improve. Seeking improvement is crucial to competitive sports, but sometimes it becomes too much; I will pressure myself to lower my times or beat myself up when I have a bad day. The ever-present push towards improvement can make people burn out, making them lose their passion for the sport, be it for a week or the rest of their lives. With spin, I’ve decided to trash the burden of excellence. If I have a great class, awesome. If I can barely stay on the bike, awesome. If I need to skip a class and sit in my room eating cereal, no problem. I refuse to turn this newfound source of enjoyment into a stressful job.

To everyone contemplating trying something completely foreign, go for it. If you end up utterly despising it, at least you know to avoid it in the future. If you end up absolutely loving it, congratulations! You just found another way to treat yo’self.