The Amazing Film: "Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse

"Into The Spider-Verse" Is An Animated Piece of Art

"Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse" completely changes the animated superhero movie game with its creativity and style.

26

Animated movies always seem to live a double life with part of the movie-going population viewing them as childish and the other as works of art. Animated movies live in a state of extremes when it comes to being ridiculed and respected/admired. In a way, comic book movies share this trend. After all, "movies about superheroes couldn't possibly be considered real cinematic art of entertainment?" Both considered too childish, animated movies and comic book movies have walked hand in hand down the sharp and jagged road of criticism. However, as the years have gone by and changed so have the outlooks concerning both genres of film. Animated movies with the help of technology and companies like Disney have flourished and provided us with visual masterpieces while companies like Marvel have pushed the limits on what a superhero movie can mean. Both considered the underdogs of their stories, animated movies and comic book hero movies have risen above, providing movie critics and fans with a whole new standard on which to judge them.

I am happy to say that "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" continues this trend.

For me personally, this movie pushes the boundaries of both of these genres by joining forces to provide views with a completely new experience. Visually, this movie is an animated phenomenon. The animation pushes beyond what is traditionally expected from companies like DreamWorks and Blue Sky. The animation in this movie is completely stylized not only within the genre of animated movies, but within the actual film itself. The movie doesn't limit itself to one type of animation and explores all types and styles to provide a type of character to the film itself. Thus the end product is a visually engaging film that opens the door to many jokes and references that would be lost or dulled if one stuck to a singular animation style and design.

After all, the film's animation is heavily tailored to its other major strength: its characters. "Into the Spider-verse" completely takes advantage of the fact that it is exploring the idea of parallel universes. Not only do we get a diverse cast that provide fans with references and lore found within the Spider-Man universe, they are wonderfully portrayed onscreen. The voice talent within this movie is absolutely amazing with talent like John Mulaney and Nic Cage (and that's only scratching the surface). Wonderful voice acting leads to characters with a lot of personality that are amazingly fun to watch move around and interact with onscreen. Each with their own animation styles and designs, the characters are just such a delight to watch interaction and move onscreen.

Speaking of movement, the action within this movie goes far beyond what one expects not only from an animated movie, but also from a "Spider-Man" movie. The action is just so fluid and so fast paced, it feels like you are sitting on the edge of your seat. Scratch that, the animation within this movie captures what it would be like to fling yourself out of your seat and freefall thousands of feet before swinging yourself back up again. This movie not only captured good action, it made you want to participate and be a part of the "Spider-Verse" experience. Honestly, I am considering going to see it again in 3D just for the action experience.

Did this movie have any flaws? Well, it could be considered a little overwhelming for those who are not as familiar with the characters and their universes. I know personally I wish we got to know the other Spider-People a little more in the movie or see them interact a little more onscreen. They do get screen-time and are very memorable, I just wanted to see even more of them. I enjoyed their characters and personalities, I just wish I was given more time and ability to empathize with them more. However, for what it is worth, I think the movie still does a great job at establishing characters while telling an amazing story. I would definitely swing by theaters and give this movie a short if you haven't already seen it.