I Spent A Lot Of Money On College And I'm OK With That.

Why college was my wisest investment yet.

9

I've spent a lot of money on my four years of higher education. Literally, I've spent my whole life savings. Granted I'm only 20-years-old, but after saving, saving, saving for those 20 years, I would have at least expected to come out a bit more on top. Instead, tuition sucked up all my pennies and come May, I'll be left with a diploma in hand and no real direction as to where my life is headed.

What if I can't get a job straight out of college? What if I get married and become a stay-at-home mom? What if I don't even choose an occupation that has to do with my major?

Amidst all the what-ifs is the question of whether spending my thousands and thousands of dollars on a college degree was really worth it?

Absolutely.

How could I ever regret the decision I made to pursue a degree that made me into the person I am today. Some may say I "found myself" in college. To me, it feels more like I finally solidified where to place my identity.

You see, something happens when you finally leave home and are forced to be your own parent, your own provider, your own shoulder to cry on. Without the transition from home to college, I myself would be stuck always relying on someone else to watch over me. College didn't just teach me how to study or why it's important to turn a ten page paper in on time. It taught me life lessons necessary to becoming an adult:

College pushed me to be alone so that I might have to build my own new community.

College gave me real-world experiences no other place could.

College gave me a reason to be thankful for every single blessing that comes my way.

College brought out many of my downfalls that I might grow to be a better version of myself.

College forced me to learn the art of true discipline.

College took away the comforts I grew up with at home that I may learn to appreciate them more.

College put people in my life that I never knew I shouldn't have to live without.

College took me on more wild adventures that I could have ever dreamed.

College showed me what a life out of control looks like that I might make wise decisions for myself the first time around.

College allowed me to make my own mistakes and in turn, learn from those mistakes.

College revealed to me the importance of living a life unashamed of the love I have for God.

College took away some of my innocence and replaced it with discernment.

College taught me of my love for writing and that my career should include just that. Journalism, here I come!

College changed me.

Not a single day that I lived as a college student would I take back. Not the good days, not the bad days, not even the ugly ones. God taught me more throughout my college career than I thought possible to fit into my tiny brain. And if it took tens of thousands of dollars to learn those things, then bring on the bills!

I'll say it again, college is expensive. There's no getting around that. The fact that some countries have free college tuition actually boggles my mind. In a free-college-tuition world I could have spent my life savings on a brand new car or a couple cruises, but I didn't and you know what, it is what it is. Today I choose to be thankful for the simple fact that I even get to go to college and learn the lessons I do everyday.