Yes, I Do Like To Spend Time Alone

Yes, I Do Like To Spend Time Alone

No, I'm not secretly planning something.

346
Yes, I Do Like To Spend Time Alone

Yes, I like spending time by myself.

By nature, I have always enjoyed feeling a sense of independence, of working alone, of sitting alone, of observing the world alone and making my own interpretations of each passerby.

Group projects have always been a nightmare (though I know they are for many people) and relationships are very difficult, whether they are romantic or simply friendships. I am a better listener, hearing what other people have to say but not necessarily articulating my own words or perhaps not even inviting myself into the conversation at all. However, people often misinterpret how and why I spend time alone.

No, I am not depressed.

I need some time to absorb my surroundings, to understand my place in a social situation before I dive right into talking to other people. This "extra time" prevents me from sparking fast friendships. I also try to distance myself from hookups which is why I haven't had any romantic relationship. But I am not depressed because I'm not traveling with a pack of friends or holding hands with a boy. I take my time.

No, I (probably) don't dislike you.

I mean yes, there are always exceptions but generally I am a very open and tolerant person. If I don't approach you first, it doesn't mean that I find you repulsive in any way. It just means that I am still learning who you are and may be nervous that I could be burdening you. The time I take alone allows me to characterize the people I meet and determine if it's appropriate to talk to them or not. If you talk to me, I will likely very quickly show that I don't hate you.

No, I am not secretly planning anything.

This misconception is my favorite. Because many evil people who had evil plots, both real and fictional, were recluses, people think that those who spend time alone are doing the same thing. I can assure you that many people like to spend time alone but those evildoers are a very small minority. In the time I spend alone, I am often submerged deep in thought, but believe me, my thoughts have nothing to do with some villainous plan.

No, I don't like to avoid human interaction.

Social situations (especially with newer people) are daunting for everybody, but I just handle the situations differently. It is sometimes difficult for all of us to use our discretion about whether to join in a conversation or not. However, while many of us use the trial-and-error approach by trying to intervene, I prefer to not join in the conversation at all. I usually wait to be invited into a conversation (which doesn't always happen).

No, just because I'm alone doesn't mean I always want to be.

Evidently, there are times when I don't want to be alone and sometimes wish I could put myself out there more. My time alone is not necessarily a choice, and I wish I could break out of it. I question why I am alone sometimes and wonder if I made a mistake, have a bad personality, or act too clingy when I'm not alone.

Maybe none of the above are true, but when any of us are alone, we should all try to take advantage of that time. Our minds can run free, we can think through decisions, we can use our imagination, and we can consider ways to better ourselves. In my time alone, I think to myself, "How can I become the best person I can possibly be?"