Spend Less This Christmas

Spend Less This Christmas

How I plan on spending less this holiday season.

26
Spend Less This Christmas
http://media3.s-nbcnews.com/i/newscms/2015_50/895306/christmas-tree-presents-stock-today-151210-tease_09c2f5d09dac7ddfc1783a11be7bdae9.jpg

Spend Less… that is sometimes easier said than done. Like most of you, I am a poor college student just trying to make it till Christmas break where I don’t have to pay for my own food and social life. Since I have been living in my own apartment paying for most expenses myself, I have been more conscious with my spending. Unfortunately, it hasn’t been the easiest to do, especially since I live in such a consumeristic society.

With Christmas approaching, I have been finding myself reflecting on how I will spend money for Christmas gifts for those I love, and I am often conflicted with what to do. Do I buy things that I can’t afford and figure it out later? Some people certainly deserve the best. But then are they going to use it? Should I be “that person” that gives practical gifts? Or do I make cheap homemade gifts that will get lost in the oblivion? What if someone gets me an elaborate gift and I give them something cheap and useless? These are the thoughts that run through my head when thinking about buying people gifts.

This year, instead of spending money on gifts that don’t mean anything, I am going to make a conscious effort to spend less on things that don’t matter. I have somewhat of any idea of what that looks like but I’m still pondering what that means as I head into Christmas shopping. Slowly but surely, I will figure it out, and so can everyone else. I challenge you this Christmas season to think of ways you can spend less on gifts that don’t matter. Ignore that article that says “Every Basic Person Needs These 50 Things on His or Her Wish List” and stop browsing Pinterest looking for random items to put on your list; think of what you actually need for Christmas this year. Reflect on what you can do to make sure everyone, not just you, spends less this holiday season.

Merry Christmas!