Can You Spell The Sound Of An Inhale Through A Nose?
Lifestyles

A lot of times, we get comfortable with the way things are. Today, I was all too uncomfortable with the way things are.

2246
https://www.flickr.com/photos/-eugenia-/4407031152/
Flickr

Today I was writing a story for my creative writing class, and I wanted to indicate that somebody was taking a deep breath through their nose. Now, like anybody else, I simply wrote "...and she took a deep breath through her nose...", pretty simple, pretty easy. But what if it could be easier. I began to think of ways that you could write the noise made when inhaling through the nose. I thought for a while, no progress. I asked some friends, no progress. I googled it, no progress. I concluded that there is no proper way to spell the sound of an inhale that does the sound justice.

This made me think deeper into this idea. In a perfect world, our alphabet would be efficient enough to spell any sound. That way, any sound that we hear, we can document in writing. Unfortunately, we do not live in this perfect world. I can't write down how a rushing river sounds, or what a hammer sounds like when it hits a nail, or what a wave sounds like when it crashes. I can use "woosh" or "bang" as much as I want, but pronounce the word woosh out loud, it sounds nothing like the sound of a river. That being said, just because you can't spell it, doesn't mean the sound doesn't exist. In fact, it shows that the letters we are given limit us, and won't let us spell the things we want to spell.

This could be kind of ~symbolic~ if we dig deep. If we think of our goals, it might be hard to think of how we might realize them with the tools we currently have. That doesn't mean these dreams can't exist, it just means we are limited by our present resources and our present knowledge. It is up to us to find the tools we need, and if not find them, we have to make them. So don't be discouraged that you can't realize your dreams with the limitations you currently have, because just the sound of an inhale through the nose, your dreams still exist, you just need to find a new way to get to them, even if that means making a way nobody has used before or agrees with. So you know what guys, I'm gonna do it. From now on, I declare that from now on, the sound of a nostril inhale will be spelled as such "$$". So now, whenever you $$ think of this article and remember that you can realize your dreams, but sometimes, you have to be creative in carving your path... or something like that...