Preparation And Education Can't Navigate Us Through This World

The color spectrum of choices

153
Kerry Sheehan-Delany

The world today is indescribable. The possibilities and opportunities are infinite in a finite lifetime. Innovation electrifies our lives in a way that blows us farther and farther away from the past. What seemed extraordinary then only seems ordinary now.

The fruits from the feuds of history include this seemingly limitless ability to do the unimaginable and the impossible. To set goals and to have dreams and to always try to reach them. Life of Dillon sings to us, “If your dreams don’t scare you, they aren’t big enough.”

The idea of a bucket list is frustrating because it starts as this fantastic, unordinary, somewhat strange list of nonsense—things you would or could never do, but then we do them and there is this overtaking feeling that we could have aimed higher—losing the 'non' in nonsense.

Learning today is not what learning has been for anyone else. It’s pristine was kept by the fact that anyone can really go. It isn’t a question of if you are going, but more of where you are going—making it expected rather than applauded; inflating its value to which makes millennials lost in this spectrum of choices, decisions, and ideas that radiates beyond one’s field of vision.

Our world is no longer black and white. It is hundreds of thousands of shades not just gray but every color on the spectrum.

The vitality of a college education was made up in the place it constantly tests—ourselves and our brains and the brains of those before us. Before, people were wrapped up in the desire of security. This made having a steady job and a developed family life the most idealistic way of living. Now, people are more concerned with how prepared they are for this boundless life, while this suburban life became more than obtainable.

The complication of having a college education recognized as this new standard is that it isn’t an institutionalized education that is going to teach people how to navigate the world.

First-person experiences are how we put ourselves in the shoes of others to understand what we can just a little bit more. They bring acceptance, tolerance, diversity, and innovation, which are all things we struggle with but intend to have in 2018.

Limitless choices paralyze us, making us afraid of taking another step forward. Worried it will be a mistake. We learn from mistakes, but in school, there is rarely ever a retake without going to summer school or taking a year off without being behind. There is a graduation track that not everyone is ready to be on because everyone learns at their own pace. The obvious answer to battle against failure and disappointment is to ignore.

We will always be ignorant because our world is too unfathomable. There is too much to know and too many people to understand. What is imaginable is no longer just a part of imagination. It most likely exists. Just because we do not know the capacity of our brains, doesn’t mean there isn’t one.

Limits, just like the idea of limitless, are what enable us to go down a different path, try something new, or meet another person. As an educated person, we are expected to have our own opinion on everything, but it is okay to admit we do not know. You shouldn’t feel embarrassed for but it is okay to admit we do not know. You shouldn’t feel embarrassed for it is another opportunity to learn about someone or something.

Generations of people are different in what they value, what they experienced, and what curiosity then brought for generations now. Education has become the center of every millennial and post-millennials world. An education is learning how to live life, not just math science, history, and literature.

John Dewey describes education as, “not the preparation for life, education is life itself,” and we should not be looking for the next step, for each step is part of our lives, and this education is the one that is going to help change/innovate the world.