The Best Mistake

The Best Mistake

Some mistakes are best left unsaid. And some are the best choices we make.

15
The Best Mistake
MetroAirport

I hate delays! Delays are the freaking worst. Every time I have a trip planned, my flight gets delayed. Why the hell does this crap always happen to me? Can’t there be one time? Just one time, where I can have my flight without delays! It’s so frustrating it makes me want to pull my hair out. For the love of God, when will this flight get back on track!

I make my way over to the bar taking sitting up on a stool. The bartender eyes me and makes me show I.D. Really? How old do I look? I take the shot and slam the cup down asking for another.

“I take you don’t like flying?” a strange man sits next to me.

“The only thing I don’t like is my flight being delayed.” I sneer through my teeth.

He raises his eyebrow and looks around the place before looking at me. I can see the worry in his face. The sweat building up on the side of his neck.

“You seem tense, are you sure it's not you who doesn’t take flying well?” I cock my eyebrow at him. He chuckles as he leans forward and shakes his head. He leans closer to me,

“What if I told you I can make your day ten times better?” The tone in his voice wasn’t pleasant, but it wasn’t dangerous.

“Are you in or out?” He asks me once more. I hesitated.

If I do this my life will be changed forever. But it’s the consequences that could come along with this. What if I get caught. What would happen to me? I can’t get in trouble. I am a terrible liar. I can’t risk my life for some guy I just met, who doesn’t look very sane. Yet, here I am, still seated next to him. If I was smart, I would have got up and left. I wouldn’t look back and I would sit near my gate waiting for my flight information. But this is where I ignore my instinct.

I let my subconscious mind take over my thinking. I ignore the fact of all the risks I am taking and I stay seated. I take another shot flinching as it the liquid swishes in my mouth and burns as it goes down my throat.

“Lay it on me” I nod. His smile widened. His eyes slightly squinted. He looked around him once more before leaning in closer to me.

“You just made a great choice” he smiles like the devil.

Times were getting harder for me. This job just wasn't cutting it. I'm behind on rent and all my other bills. I thought being able to fly to different cities would be fun. I just never actually thought about what was in store once I started the job. People can be so picky on flights. And they demand things right away. Plus they have the nerve to get mad at you if you don't respond to their call right away.

They need to realize that were busy too. We do our best to make sure you have a nice, relaxed flight. But it's kind of hard when people are acting really rude.

You will be in so much trouble if you get caught” his voice blinded my thoughts.

“I can handle this” I told him. I fixed the creases in my shirt as I walked back to the gate. There were loads of people there waiting to board the plane. It was about time that the line began forming and the plane door opened. I made each step count. Each motion hiding my features of fear. The moment I stepped on the plane, I knew I would be safe. Nothing can, and nothing will stop me. Ten grand is so much money. Who has that kind of money lying around like that? Ten grand is only a third of the portion for the money he has, I could tell.

One isn’t willing to pay ten grand for such a task. Then again, this task isn’t as simple as handing a piece of paper to someone. This is one where I could get locked up if it gets in the wrong hands. I had to be clever and show no fear. One by one the line shortened and I made my way walking through the last check. Thankfully, there was no alarm or sort. Airport security was way behind me, and for that I felt safe. For now.

Relief filled my lungs as I stepped off the plane and into the terminal. I was given specific instructions as to who to hand this chip over to. I palm the small piece in my hand and study it.

"Why so much trouble for a little chip?" I ask myself as I walk through the terminal my heels clicking on the shiny pavement. My curiosity got the best of me. The next thing I know I'm walking into a computer store inside the airport. I stop at a desk with a computer and look for a place that would fit this chip.

"Can I help you find anything ma'am?" a voice startles me and I almost dropped the chip.

"No. I'm just...just looking. Thanks" I say catching my breath. Not only is this chip making me lose my mind, but it's doing a very good job of making me look and act like an idiot. I insert the chip into the laptop and a document comes up. At first glance all I saw was just numbers and nothing but numbers. But as I studied it closer, my eyes widen. These weren't just ordinary numbers. These were numbers and access codes to literally every bank account in the United States. I quickly ejected the chip, wrap it in my shawl and shove it in my bag.

This was the last time I would ever walk through an airport, and the last time anyone would look for me. I was long gone. Never ever to be found.