Spaceteam: The World's Greatest App

Spaceteam: The World's Greatest App

Stop what you're doing and play it right now

64
Spaceteam: The World's Greatest App

Picture this: you are the captain of your own brand new rocket. Your job is to fly that rocket through all of time and space, dodging asteroids and navigating wormholes, all with the added fun of screaming orders at your friends as you work together to make sure that the rocket doesn't literally explode.

Does this sound like an incredible Saturday night to you? Because let me tell you, readers, I know from personal experience that it absolutely is. You can live this life by downloading a little game on your iOs or Android device called Spaceteam, where you do just that: get through space by working as a team. The game must be played with 2-8 players, so you have no option to play it yourself. So what I'm saying is if you don't have any friends, get some and play this game. Or, if you're looking to lose some friends, round them up and have them play with you, because the stakes do get very high very fast and it can test the strongest of relationships. Ask my roommate, we don't really speak anymore.

This is what you can expect from a rousing game of Spaceteam: your little character, usually adorned with some charming little hat, walking stick, or antennae, makes their way into a waiting room, where they wait for other players to join the network. You signify that you're ready to play by shooting your little laser gun up into the sky like a little space cowboy preparing for a duel, and then the whole lot of you are beamed up into what we can only assume is probably your rocket. You are then presented with a series of buttons, dials, and switches with hilariously nonsensical space names and associated actions, like spurring the Spectrospiget, setting the Beepnozzle to maximum power, or eulogizing the previous crew. You are also presented with an instruction at the top of your screen that pertains to another player's dashboard, and it's your job to read that instruction out loud for other players to hear and follow while you listen to the orders of other players. As you progress into the later levels, you'll be told to do things like shake your phone or other device to avoid asteroids or flip the whole thing upside down to avoid wormholes, all while some kind of weird fire space ray is coming closer and closer to your rocket, so speed is of the utmost importance. And right when you think you've gotten the hang of it and everything seems to be going okay, your rocket will suffer from a wide array of issues--a translation error, where suddenly all of the writing on your dashboard is written in some kind of wingdings language, thermal storms, where everything turns red and you can no longer read anything, or heavy turbulence, where all the switches and panels literally pop out of the dashboard and swing about so that you have to flip your phone in all sorts of directions just to press a stupid button all while trying to shout out instructions and then the fire ray is getting closer AND CLOSER AND YOU'RE BARELY HANGING ON. It's great fun.

Sleeping Beast Games released the game in 2012 (almost exactly 4 years from the day I've sat down to write this article, so happy birthday Spaceteam!), but I just discovered it about two weeks ago, and it's changed my life. My second roommate once woke up at 1am to the sound of my other roommate Courtney and I screaming instructions at each other through the wall we share because of the sheer passion the game evoked for us. It's a game that brings people together, and is especially fun when you're drunk (legally, of course).

So what are you waiting for? Get out your phone and download Spaceteam right now at this very second, because Courtney and I are looking to throw a third player into our midnight sessions. You can leave a comment below if you're willing to take us up on this offer, we're here until next Sunday.