Bless Your Heart: A Southern Glossary For Unknowing Yankees

Y'all need a quick lesson.

17024

During my freshman year at Vassar, I discovered that a lot of the things that I've been saying my whole life aren't commonly said outside the south. My roommate was from Vermont, and she frequently had no idea what I was talking about. So here's a glossary of words and phrases for Yankees who have the good fortune to be friends with southerners.

Y'all

If you don't know what this means, you should just give up now; I don't know why northerners say "you guys." It makes y'all sound ridiculous.

Bless your heart

Please note that this is not a compliment, and is almost always preceded or followed by trash talk; She's pretty, but bless her heart she is dumb as a post.

Sweet

Also not a compliment, and frequently used to describe as someone who is incredibly vanilla (nice but boring); She seems sweet, but I don't want to invite her because she's kind of lame.

Caddywampus

Off kilter, tilted; You need to adjust that picture because it's a little caddywampus.

Roll Tide

A statement in support of the best college football team in America. Also, a celebratory exclamation, greeting, or pretty much anything positive if you're an Alabama fan; You got a new job? Roll Tide!

Fixin' to

'About to' or 'going to' (the lack of g is mandatory); Hurry up, the movie is fixin' to start.

I'm praying for you

Used to indicate either support or disapproval; You're spending the weekend in the woods with no supplies other than a gun and box of matches? I'll be praying for you.

Grocery store feet

When the bottom of your feet are so dirty that they look like you've been walking around the grocery store barefoot; I've got some serious grocery store feet from wearing flip flops all day.