I'm The Southern Girl Who Hates Sweet Tea

Yes, you did in fact read that correctly.

196

Hi, my name's Savannah, and I've never once in my life liked sweet tea.

I've tried it numerous times because people think I'll like it as I get older, but nope. I still hate it. For 20 years now I've hated it. Personally, I don't think I'll ever like it. Most wish I would.

I was born and raised in the countryside of Alabama, so when I say I'm Southern, I mean, I'm about as Southern as you can get. I've lived in the same place for my entire life. I hate sweet tea, though. I wear boots. I'm with farm animals 90% of the time. I love country music. Fall festivals are my jam. I love just about anything Southern, except sweet tea. I despise sweet tea. If you put a cup of sweet tea in front of me, it will go to waste. Don't do it.

I also don't like gravy or hush puppies. Both gross me out. I refuse to eat cobblers unless it's chocolate made by my granny. I don't like the thought of all that mushy underneath the crust. I'm not a huge fan of barbecue meat and coleslaw. I'll eat it, but it's not my first choice by any means. I hate onions more than I hate sweet tea. I almost throw up just at the smell of them. I really don't like pot pies, apple butter, or apple pie.

I say all of this to make a point. Most people tell me I'm not a true Southern. They say I should have been born in the north. I take that as an insult, not because there is anything wrong with the north, but because I love being a Southern country girl. You can see my Southern roots in almost everything else. My accent is thick. My boots are worn from wearing them all the time on farms. You can even see my Southern roots in a lot of the foods I do like.

Let me tell ya, I love some chicken and dumplings. Grits are absolutely incredible. Lemonade and root beer are two of the best beverages ever created (after coffee of course #CollegeKid). Fried chicken is my go to, and if you think that's a joke just ask my mama. Most don't like deviled eggs, but they're great in my opinion. I love mac and cheese, fried okra, and potato salad.

Southern food is some of the best around. I say that with confidence, or maybe just a biased opinion, but I'm gonna go with confidence. I love Southern food, clothing, and culture. I love everything about the South, and quite frankly it's an insult when people tell me I'm not a true Southerner.

I'm from the South. I love the South. Nothing will ever make me not love the South. I'm just not a fan of sweet tea, nor will I ever be. Sorry, not sorry.