10 Things To Do In South Carolina This Summer

Because we have way more than beaches.

108

South Carolina is a very diverse state, with many different types of attractions. Between the mountains and the coast, there are many more than just 10 stops that could make this list, but let's keep this simple. Grab a map and start marking future destinations!

1. Caesar's Head- Located in Caesar's Head State Park in Greenville County, there are numerous hiking trails and beautiful views to be explored.

2. Paris Mountain State Park- Just 5 miles north of Greenville, Paris Mountain State Park sits on 1,540 acres of land and features numerous hiking trails, biking trails, camping, swimming, and many picnicking spots. Lake Placid is located in this park, and is great for fishing and swimming. There are kayacks, canoes, and pedal boats available for rental during certain times of the year. Before the area was settled by Europeans, Cherokee Native Americans lived on this land.

3. The Riverbanks Zoo and Botanicals Gardens- A 170 acre zoo that is set along the Saluda River in Columbia.

4. Lee Falls- The 75-foot-high waterfall is one of the highest in South Carolina. You can get to the Falls by a trail, which is about 1-2 hour hike. Located in Walhalla.

5. The Nuway Bar and Lounge- The oldest bar in Spartanburg, The Nuway is famous for it's "Redneck Cheese Burger", which is freshly made with house-made pimento cheese and topped with chili. It's the simple things.

6. Morris Island- An uninhabited, but beautiful island, that is located near the south side of the Charleston Harbor. It was a big vantage point during the Civil War. There is a beautiful lighthouse, which is one of the only landmarks on the island. Over time, the island has begun to shrink in size to to erosion.

7. Congaree National Park- One of South Carolina's most untouched gems, this park has a Boardwalk Loop that takes you on a walk through the swamps to see a slew of wildlife and plant life. There is camping available, and you can canoe.

8. Myrtle Beach- A very popular vacation destination for people across the country, Myrtle Beach has something for everybody. Camping, shopping, restaurants and bars are among the many attractions featured here. While there are many better beaches in the state, Myrtle Beach definitely has the biggest variety of activities and attractions.

9. Charleston- A very popular and historic city, Charleston features a huge variety of historic locations, art galleries, great food options, beaches, fishing, and sights to see. Here you can visit the S.S. Yorktown, take a ferry across the harbor to Fort Sumpter, visit the Battery, and see historic plantations, gardens, and cemeteries that date back to the 1600's.

10. Huntington Beach State Park- A beautiful retreat for nature lovers! You can camp, fish, hike, and enjoy time on the beach. There is also a pier that you can walk out on for a better view, or for fishing!