The Soundtrack To My Life

The Soundtrack To My Life

13 songs that sum up my personality

18
The Soundtrack To My Life
Typecast

Have you ever watched a movie (namely John Hughes films) and seen a magnificent dance number or something and thought, "I wish I had an awesome soundtrack to go along with my life!" Nope. Just me? Okay. Well, I have thought about it (mostly because I've seen a ton of John Hughes films), and so I've compiled a list of songs that I feel should definitely be in the soundtrack to my life.

1. "Bye Bye Bye" by *NSYNC

The first slot in my soundtrack definitely goes to this gem. My childhood definitely was highlighted by this song...erm...well...this band. This song has always been my favorite of *NSYNC's, and I still remember every word.

2. "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)" by My Chemical Romance

This song hit the right spots in my heart after my grandfather's passing in February 2005. It reminded me that it's okay to not feel okay sometimes. I was starting to feel so angry and upset afterward that, as soon as my cousin introduced me to this song and taught me the words to it, I instantly latched on. It was my introduction into a different form of rock music than the classic rock and punk that I was already into, and My Chemical Romance paved the way for me to dive headfirst into the darker side of rock music. At the time, their music (along with Aiden's) was the only thing that made me feel better and helped me to keep at least a shred of my sanity in that darker time in my life. I will always love this song for that reason.

3. "How Soon Is Now" by The Smiths

Ah. The theme song to "Charmed." This was my introduction into what was the genius that is Morrissey. This song really stuck with me because of the line "I am human and I need to be loved just like everybody else does." That's what I've always thought about. That's my whole being. Just love.

4. "Hotel California" by The Eagles

Not really a player into my personality or anything (although it is kind of creepy like the majority of my favorite songs are nowadays), this particular song is more of a link to my dad. One of my dad's favorite bands is The Eagles, and it was this song in particular that I loved the most (my dad's favorite is "Desperado"). One of the first times a child listens to music is through what her parents listen to, so I'm glad that I have the parents that I have. I owe a lot of my music taste to them.

5. "Jamie All Over" by Mayday Parade

My favorite Mayday Parade song, this is just like my high school experience. In "Jamie All Over," they talk about taking off to the West Coast, and that was my whole thought process while I was in high school. I couldn't wait to get out of my hometown and take off for California. I still haven't done it, but I'm not giving up.

6. "Life Is Beautiful" by Sixx: A.M.

This song is the reason I didn't get as angry over my grandmother's death as I did over my grandfather's. "Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful." It reminds me that, despite the darkness that is in every single day and the inevitability of death, life still has its beautiful moments, like in the memories I have and the family and friends that I still have around me to help me get through.

7. "The Music Of The Night" from "The Phantom of the Opera"

Yeah. I know. This is so different from the rest of the list, but this song is just as important as the rest. Unless it was Disney, until I saw this, I wasn't really that into musicals. Then came "The Phantom of the Opera." After that, I was hooked. I still haven't seen that many musicals, but I'm definitely loving the ones I have seen. And it's definitely adding into my personality. It's like having a soundtrack for every second of every day.

8. "They Don't Need To Understand" by Andy Black

This song definitely taught me to appreciate being myself. The lyrics show Andy's progression from being the little kid singing in his room to his mirrors to the man that he is today, living his dream and always being true to himself. It's definitely a testament to staying true to yourself, and I'm so glad that Andy's music is about that, both as a solo artist and in his band, Black Veil Brides. I think the world needs more positive role models like him.

9. "570" by Motionless In White

This is a newer Motionless In White song, released this summer, and it's a testament as to where they came from. The numbers 570 are the area code for Scranton (and a few other cities) in Pennsylvania which is where Motionless In White is from. I love it because it sounds similar to their old stuff from their "Creatures" album, and it also shows that no matter how big they get as a band, they will always remember where they came from. As much as I hated my hometown as a kid, being away from it as an adult and coming back during breaks at school just make me find new ways to appreciate it. While I still can't see myself staying there for the rest of my life, I can appreciate where I came from.

10. "And So It Goes" by Billy Joel

This song is one of the most emotional songs I've ever heard in my life. Have you ever loved someone and had to let them go or had them walk away from you? Well, I've been there, and it sucks. It really does. But sometimes parting from each other is the best thing for you, and that's what this song says to me.

11. "As The World Falls Down" by David Bowie from "Labyrinth"

This song is another love song that means a lot to me. Like Jareth wanted to give everything he had to Sarah, I wanted someone to want to give me everything and for me to be able to do that in return. I especially loved this song because of how beautifully written the song is and the sequence in the movie that the song is in.

12. "Things I'll Never Say" by Avril Lavigne

This song says all the things I've wanted to say and more. I mean, have you ever felt so strongly for someone that the words that you want to say are stuck in your head or in the back of your throat and you get all nervous about saying it, so you don't? I've been there more times than I can count. This song just says so much of what I've always wanted to blurt out.

13. "Beautiful Soul" by Jesse McCartney

Rounding out the list on the soundtrack is my favorite song from Jesse McCartney. My second obsession after *NSYNC, JMac was my middle school love. This song reminded me at a time when I didn't feel very beautiful that I was beautiful. I mean, think of all the changes that kids go through in middle school. I went from having a lot of friends to having next to none as well as having the natural changes of growing up affecting me. Not to mention that my grandfather died toward the end of my first year of middle school. To say that I had a lot of things affecting my life at that age would be a bit of an understatement. This song reminded me that I was beautiful inside and out.

So there you have it: 13 songs that I would put on the soundtrack to my life. What tracks would you put on yours?