Sorry, But You're Most Likely A Naïve Realist

It's not bad, it's not good, it just is what it is.

1318
kwintessential

If you have ever taken an anthropology course, odds are that you learned (or will learn) about naïve realism. Naïve realism, simply put, is the false belief that everyone thinks and acts the same way you do.

You might be thinking that of course no one thinks the same way you do. Take a step back, and analyze what kind of environment you grew up in; which street, which block, which town, state or country. Think of all the cultural norms, beliefs and practices that were engrained inside your head since you were born.

Now, imagine yourself traveling to the country you have always dreamed of visiting. You created you itinerary, know were you're staying and you're very excited.

But then culture shock slaps you in the face shortly after you land. Then you feel the aftershock a couple of days later, even throughout the entirety of your stay.

Culture shock is in my opinion the most widely understandable example to use when trying to explain what naïve realism is, but you don't have to leave your neighborhood to experience culture shock. Many sub-cultures can exist around you and you might not even know it; be it an athletic culture, academic culture, etc.

Think about it. Have you ever been in a new environment where people practiced different social or cultural norms and beliefs? Have you tried to rationalize this new cultural information in your head, dissected it, fought it or perhaps even questioned your own practices? Have you ever thought of how another culture rationalizes their day to day problems and thought of it as being odd or strange?

I would argue that everyone has at some point in their lives been a naïve realist. Anyone that has ventured outside their bubble of cultural knowledge, be it local or international, has had that epiphany-like moment when they realize that not every place in the world views the world in the same way. The added beauty of having this moment is that you don't even have to leave your own backyard. You can learn about people and culture through the internet, to a certain extent.

Now that we know what a naïve realist is, can we say that being one is unavoidable? Well, the answer is yes. Most grow up in an environment and culture and stay there throughout their childhood. These learned actions, knowledge, and values become naturalized. Other values or practices are viewed as different.

You shouldn't feel bad for being a naïve realist; trying to understand and analyze someone else's culture is hard in general let alone for anthropologists. You could argue that being a naïve realist is, in a sense, natural too.

The point is, it's okay to realize that you are a naïve realist. I salute you for having learned that people think, act and value things differently than you. The next step is to not stay there; don't stay ignorant. If you haven't already, I would highly encourage you to take an anthropology class in school, or read up on it in academic journals online. Heck, go to a festival that celebrates a culture's heritage, there are many in New York City.

All in all, we have been at some point in our lives a naïve realist. It's not a good or a bad thing initially, it just happens. Once we learn this about ourselves, we can shake off the ignorance and better ourselves by exposing our minds to new environments. Best of luck on your post-naïve realist journey!