Sorority Spirit Week

5 Things I Learned From Sorority Spirit Week

They tell you that spirit week brings you closer to your sisters, but you don't realize how real that is until you experience it yourself.

138
Skyler Anderson

Going into spirit week I had a few select friends and I knew that it was time that I strengthened those bonds and made new ones. I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to accomplish this and that the week wasn't going to be all it was cracked up to be. I was so wrong! I learned so much in just 5 short days. Here is everything I learned...

1. How To Throw Together A Themed Outfit

Every day is something different and every event is something different as well. From rock n' roll to decades to pajamas, none of us have the money to buy a full-blown outfit/costume. I learned quickly how to put together an outfit that fit the theme.

2. How To Open Up To Sisters You Don't Know

When you have to practice talking and playing games, you have to open up to sisters you haven't really gotten to know before. It was amazing to learn about other sisters and make connections with people that I didn't have before.

3. About My Sorority

I have learned so much about my sorority and why we do the things we do. I now have a better understanding of our history and how we function as a sisterhood. I feel more connected to our founders, our sisters around the country, and my sisters in my chapter.

4. How To Go Through Sorority Recruitment On The Other Side

This one is kind of obvious because the whole point of spirit week is learning how to recruit. In this short week, I learned so much about how to talk to people, how to give information, and so much more about recruiting.

5. How Much Of An Impact You Can Make On Someone Without Even Knowing It

Being a senior, I had the opportunity to have sisters tell me characteristics they liked about me, memories they have with me, and how I have impacted them. Going into it, I didn't think that I was going to have anyone say anything for me, but I had so many people say so many kind things that I was not expecting at all. I was so incredibly touched and moved to know how highly people thought of me, people that weren't my best friend, but people that genuinely just thought those things of me.

Being that this was my first and last spirit week, this was something I will never forget. I learned so much and became so much closer to my sisters and our sisterhood, as well as more confident in myself and my friendships.