10 Reasons Going Through Sorority Recruitment Is A Must

It's an experience that you'll never forget.

116
Personal photo

Sorority Recruitment has a lot of stereotypes and labels attached to it- most girls associate the process with lots of tears, drama and little to no sleep. While sorority recruitment can definitely meet some of those expectations, most women are surprised to find that the process can be extremely rewarding. Whether you join a sorority or not, the recruitment process instills self-growth while also providing endless opportunities for girls to create real and lasting friendships in a small-knit community. Here are 10 reasons why sorority recruitment is something all girls should participate in.

1. The Recruitment process can integrate you into your new school

Sorority recruitment often takes place within the first few weeks of school. Whether you realize it or not, the process is one of the first school associated activities you can participate in. Transitioning to a college campus setting can be difficult, and sorority recruitment is a better way to get to know the people and atmosphere of the college you are now beginning to attend.

2. Recruitment can make a big school feel small

Whether you're at a big state school or a small local university, sorority recruitment is a great way to meet lots of people in a short amount of time. Whether you're a freshman or a transfer student, going through recruitment is a way to gain new connections and provides you with tons of new faces you'll recognize on campus, helping make the campus feel a lot more personal.

3. It gives you new insight into Greek life

Regardless of whether or not you choose to join a sorority, recruitment gives girls the chance to see Greek life from a totally new perspective. Many women are hesitant to going through the process based on the stereotypes and labels of sorority life they may have- recruitment breaks down those stereotypes and allows potential new members to get a better take on what being in a sorority actually entails.

4. It forces you outside of your comfort zone

Rushing a sorority can be scary to say the least. With hundreds of girls screaming and yelling their chants at you at the top of their lungs, it's easy to be intimidated as a potential new member. What makes the recruitment process so beneficial though is that it puts girls into a completely new environment, enabling them to look for new connections and foster new friendships with people they would never have talked to before.

5. Recruitment can teach you resillience

While the process has so many great and exciting parts to it, recruitment can be extremely discouraging and challenging for some. Although the Greek community aims to find the perfect house for every girl, there simply are not enough spots. At some point along the way, most potential new members find themselves not being asked back to a house where they thought they had had a great conversation or made great connections at. Being dropped from your favorite house or several houses at once can be upsetting to say the least, but can teach girls to look past their challenges and find their best fit elsewhere.

6. It forces you to connect with a wide range of girls

The insanely broad spectrum of personalities and different types of girls you'll see in sorority life completely blows away all stereotypes you may have had. Sure, some girls do fit the labels you may have created in your mind, but there are tons of girls who don't, and you'll get to talk to all of them. You'll more than likely have to talk to a few girls who are completely different than yourself, but chances are you can find some common ground if you make the effort.

7. Bid Day is the best day ever

The recruitment process can be tough and long, but it makes it all worth it when you get to celebrate your new sorority. Sororities go all out for their Bid days- they spoil new members with new gear and tons of food, and most importantly make their new members feel right at home. Running home to your sorority is one of the most exciting and rewarding experiences of the recruitment process, and makes you feel welcomed into a tight-knit community.

8. You'll get to know your campus better

There's no better way to get to know you're new campus than to walk all around it! Chances are you'll be doing some walking and/or running to the various sorority houses on campus, which will help you get to know the area better right away! By the end of recruitment, you'll know the campus as well as the back of your hand!

9. You'll experience the love and commitment girls have towards their sororities

Whether you join a sorority or not, recruitment gives you the opportunity to see just how much these girls love their sororities. Their tears, chants and conversations reveal the commitment they have towards their sororities, and is great to see regardless of the outcome of your experience in that house. These girls truly love their sorority (otherwise they wouldn't be doing it), and it's eye opening to see.

10. You'll find your home away from home

Sorority recruitment is a way for new girls to find a place where they can connect with other girls and feel at home in a brand new place. The recruitment process can be a challenging experience, but should be a process that is trusted- as it aims to place girls in a setting they can call home. Finding a small knit community of girls where real, lasting friendships can be made is recruitment's greatest gift and makes you want to give that gift to other girls in the future as well.