Advice For Girls Going Through Sorority Recruitment
Life Stages

Hydration Is Key, And 14 Other pieces of advice for Surviving sorority recruitment

Things you MUST remember as a PNM.

625

Recruitment season is almost upon us and bid day is in the air!!! I went through the recruitment process last year and found my forever home where I've met my future bridesmaids (I know, so #tender) and also made a great amount of connections through others that didn't end up being my sisters. Here's a list of my advice to PNMs.

1. Be Yourself.

This one might seem trite, but it is the most fundamental advice of all. Don't just act the way you think a certain house will like, because, at the end of the day, the girls can tell whether you'd vibe well with them or not. Be genuine and don't just try to mold into something you're not. You want to end up in a sorority that loves you for YOU and all your flaws that come with that.

2. Keep an open mind.

You might have initial ideas about where you could see yourself, but try not to get your heart set on one house, give all of the houses a fair chance.

3. Trust the process & trust the LORD!!!

You will hear this over and over to the point where you might stop believing it. Don't doubt this phrase. Everything happens for a reason and will work out exactly how it is meant to. Pray throughout the week that you will be nudged in the right direction.

4. Keep it real.

Don't be nervous to ask deep questions. This is the only way you can learn which house is the fit for you and the girls you are talking with will be more than happy to answer and help you learn more about why they're passionate about their sorority. This could really help you make a decision in the end!

5. It's okay not to feel a connection.

There are guaranteed to be houses where you know you won't fit in and you don't feel comfortable. This is bound to happen and is just part of the process.

6. It's YOUR choice.

Where you want to go is not your mom's choice, not your best friends from high school, not your roommate. This will be your home for your college years and the relationships you build will last past four years of college. Go where you know you can be your best self and be confident in your decision!

7. Not every house is going to want you, and that's okay.

Don't take not getting invited back to a house too personally. These aren't personal rejections and the girls in the house know if you'd be happy and mesh well. Trust that if you get cut, it just wasn't the best fit for you and you WILL find your home.

8. There's a variety of girls in each house.

You will find your niche/people/go-tos wherever you end up. People always assume and project that girls in a sorority are identical and cookie-cutter, but I promise that you can find girls with the same values and interests as you wherever you end up with there still being variety.

9. Your letters do not define you.

Your sorority isn't everything and does not define your college experience. You will find your place and your best friends in college, regardless of the house you're in/greek letters in your bio!

10. Go through recruitment even if you're skeptical.

Many girls aren't too sure if they're defined as the "sorority type". This is the biggest misinterpretation ever, we are not ONE type. There are different types of girls in every house! My advice is to still go through recruitment even if you're unsure you'll join one. I met so many amazing girls throughout the week, some ended up being sisters and others are now friends. I even got to connect and maintain relationships with girls that rushed me at other houses that I meshed well with. So, even if you end up not joining a sorority, you'll still meet so many new people, maybe even someone in the same class as you so you have a buddy to sit with on the first day.

11. Get to know your recruitment counselor (gamma chi).

They have been through the process and are here to help and support you! Really listen to their advice, they're in this role to give you guidance. And who knows, she might end up being one of your sisters when recruitment is over!

12. Take. The. Water.

You'll be offered it and it's important to stay hydrated because the heat in the beginning of August is brutal.

13. Pick the house that will bring the best out of you.

Pick one that will help you grow and enhance you, not change you. Consider your position on the ~high school hierarchy~ irrelevant now. College is is an opportunity to start over and re-establish yourself, but not in a way that changes your character and value.

14. Sororities are not for everyone.

Some people don't feel called to join a sorority and this is totally fine. Your college experience can and will still be amazing and fulfilling if you chose not to indulge in greek life.

15. Stay positive!

This is such a tiring and draining week and you'll most likely shed a few tears just from sleep deprivation. Try to keep a good attitude and remember the reasons why you decided to go through recruitment.

This is such an exciting time, but in the midst of the craziness, confusion and nerves—never forget your worth and value. You're worthy of love and acceptance and your college experience will be great regardless of the sorority you do/don't end up in.