What It's Like Having A Sorority Little
Lifestyles

To The Sorority Little I Never Saw Being The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me, But Was

You are one of the best things that has ever happened to me!

186
Macarena Calzado

Dear Little,

When I was in your shoes a year ago, I didn't think I wanted a little. I was always caught up in my schoolwork or my friendships or the stress that is life. I lived in the sorority corridor last year, so I was almost always with a sorority sister. But, a lot of the time, I was with my roommate because let's face it when sorority sisters are roommates they are inseparable. We would often stay up late and talk about anything and everything. Most nights, I won't lie, we would stay up until 2 or 3 am simply talking. It was the simplest of times, and it is one of the college memories I will never forget.

More often than not, during fall semester, the conversation topic that we would fall on would be the idea that we, the "littles," would be getting our own littles in a short semester. My roommate was ecstatic about the idea. She had the perfect little in mind and really hoped she would rush our sorority (Spoiler alert: She rushed our sorority, and now they're big and little and it's so so cute.). However, I was always so unsure. I would always tell my roommate, "I'm not sure, dude. I don't know if I want a little. I don't feel like I'm responsible enough or have the time."

But, hindsight is 20/20, and I now realize this was just my selfish side shining through. Because you, little, are one of the best things to have ever happened to me. Seriously, like ever. But I went all of fall semester and all of winter break thinking this. I didn't think I wanted a little; I didn't want someone to look up to me because I was sure I would mess up somewhere along the way. But, then you came along!

Recruitment was one of the most fun times of college so far. I got so much closer to our sorority sisters. We bonded in a way that I didn't think was possible. But, the best part by far, little, was meeting you. I remember it perfectly. It was an early round in recruitment, and I was told I was going to talk to you. I had no idea who you were, but I had a feeling you were going to be the perfect person. And hey, I was right! I came up to you, and we talked for a super long time. You were such a light and a joy, and I remember thinking RIGHT away that I wanted you as my little. Suddenly, all the thoughts of not wanting a little vanished. I wanted you (not in a creepy way, I promise!). You can ask my roommate, I wouldn't shut up about you. I was so excited!

Finally, preference round came, and I could not have been more excited. I immediately said I wanted to talk to you, and that's where it was history! We talked for forever and bonded over so many things. From our love of Jesus to our mutual love of Winnie the Pooh, it was a conversation I will never forget. When bid day came, I sprinted down to the suite to pick you as my little heart. Then bid day actually came, and I almost cried when I saw you (no joke)! I was so ecstatic that you had chosen AOII, and I was so ready to welcome you. You know all the fun that happened at bid day, so I won't go over all of that again.

Fast forward a couple of weeks, and it's time for big-little week. Of course, I rank you first. And something tells me you ranked me pretty high, too (*wink wink*). I remember you Snapchatting me to tell me how nervous you were. But, in my evil big ways, I couldn't tell you anything. Leaving you to wonder that whole week was one of the hardest yet funniest things I have ever experienced.

Fast forward yet again to reveal night. You were holding my roommate's hand as you walked in blindfolded. I crept up behind you to tap your shoulder to turn around. The smile on your face when you turned around made my heart glow, and I knew at that moment that I had picked the right little. The video of our reveal is still one that I cannot stop watching over and over and over again. The rest, as you know, is history, little. Here's to our Snapchat streak (and to the hope that I don't keep killing it, I'm so sorry).

So thank you, little, for showing me what it means to love. If there is ever anyone who is the epitome of selflessness and love, it's you. Thank you for staying up late with me when I just need to talk. Thanks for laughing with me and showing me the pure joy in life. I look forward to the many late nights we will spend this year laughing till our abs hurt! Thank you for showing me what it means to love Jesus and all of his brothers and sisters. You truly draw me closer to the Lord each and every day. But, above all, thank you for letting me be your big. Thank you for showing me what it means to have a little and to be a leader in our sorority. I am so grateful for you and all you have shown me through the ball of joy that you are.

Love forever,

Your Big