Sorority Girls Are More Than Just The Typical Stereotype Or Else I Wouldn't Be In One

My sorority has blessed me with many opportunities

406
Cassie Nichols

Let me start this article by saying, I’m not here to tell you to join a sorority in college.

I’m simply here to say that sorority girls are much more than just pillow fights, parties, and paint on a bunch of glittery faces. If you had asked me the summer before I entered college, I would have never dreamed that I would be in a sorority today. I was committed to being a college athlete and didn’t even think it was socially acceptable to be in a sorority and play soccer. I felt like those were two different worlds that should not be mixed up.

But I was wrong.

I am an exception in my sorority because I did not go through formal recruitment like most of the girls who are in my pledge class. During my first semester of college, I was a strictly a soccer player and didn’t focus on much besides athletics, schoolwork, and an occasional social life.

As the year went on, I wanted to be more involved on campus. I met a group of girls who were curious as to why I wasn’t in a sorority. My instant response was “Because I play soccer.” They began telling me that the two would not conflict, especially in the spring, and encouraged me to go to an event at the house and meet some of the girls.

So I decided to go.

From the minute I stepped foot into the white mansion across from campus I was warmly welcomed by everyone and I was very surprised by the different personalities under one roof. Not only was almost everyone involved in some other activity at the University, but there was even a couple of other athletes who I could relate to tremendously. After that trip to the house, I knew right away that I had found my home away from home in Delta Gamma.

I sit here writing this article exactly one year later from when I joined. I had no idea that within the last year I would have met my best friends or taken on a leadership director's position. I now have a constant support system of 85 sisters and I could not be happier. I have my sorority to thank for blessing me with of extraordinary opportunities and all of those to come.