Yes I'm A Sorority Girl, But This Is What I'm Not

Yes I'm A Sorority Girl, But Here's What I'm Not

I didn't "buy my friends"

426
Personal Photo

I think there's such a negative stigma around Greek life in this world. Movies and TV have made it out to be crazy, continuous partying and full of hateful people all based on looks. I love being a part of Greek life for so many reasons. Here are some misconceptions about Greek life debunked.

1. I Didn't "Buy My Friends"

My sisters are my friends because we all share common values, likes, and dislikes. We spend every day together, live together in the house, share group chats, and have similar majors so we are always together. No amount of money could've made the bond my sisters and I have and I wish people would realize the true bond between sisters because it's magical.

2. We Really Care About Our GPA's and Grades

There's a certain GPA every Greek house requires you to meet in order to stay an active member. Plus, we always encourage study dates with other people in the house and some houses even throw study events to raise money for charities. Also, some of the top scholars known were in Greek life soooooo...

3. Philanthropyyyyyy!!

Many people think we don't do anything but socialize when really our whole existence is based on philanthropies! We spend every semester raising awareness and money for the foundations we love and we have all ended up being some of the primary monetary donors for those causes!

4. We Don't Judge Based Off Looks

It's what's on the inside that truly counts. We all have found our houses by our personalities and values, not by our looks. A house will want you if you share the same value as them and that's how you'll find your people.

5. We Also Don't Judge By The Brands You Wear

It's true that many of the girls you may see in one house might all have something similar by a certain brand altogether, but that's just what being sisters is like. it's not like you have to buy certain expensive brands or dress a certain way to "fit in." Greek life is all about being yourself!

6. I'm Not Living Off "Daddy's Money"

Most of us are on academic scholarships and have to maintain grades and a good image to keep going to our college. Not all of us were born rich, you know?

7. Partying. Nonstop Partying.

It's true with any college student that it's fun to go out every now and then, but it isn't what Greek life consists of. Greek life is supposed to be finding your forever people, your second family, and your home away from home. These are the people you will rely on on your best days and worst, you don't have to party for that to happen. Plus, believe it or not, there are certainly Greeks who don't party or choose to stay away from that lifestyle.