My Sorority Rush Experience

Sorority Girl: My Rush Experience

It's not what you think.

162
Sorority Girl: My Rush Experience
Julie Simison

The past two weekends I got to go through recruitment to get into a sorority. I wasn't sure how I would like it, but it was such an amazing experience. I met so many new people and made lots of new friends. It's made being in a new environment so much easier.

So a little background. I never thought I would be a sorority girl. In fact, for a while, I didn't like people in sororities just because of the negative stigma around them. Around my senior year of high school I started to look into them more; primarily because my friends are in one at Butler. I would see how much fun they were having through Instagram posts and they would tell me how amazing their sisters are. I was still iffy though because I was still holding on to that stigma that movies have created.

I ended up signing up for recruitment and meeting some of the sororities before recruitment even started. I wanted to know what I was getting myself into and what all they do and let me just say they're amazing. Each sorority is amazing; they all have a charity that they raise money for and it's called their philanthropy. They also support other sororities with their philanthropies and it's just like one big Greek family. That's something that the movies miss out on a lot. Movies make it look like all we do is go to parties and that we are the "mean girls", but that's not true at all. All the girls that I have met through this process are really kind and amazing in their own way.

So now on to the recruitment process. When you start recruitment you are put into separate groups and have leaders called Pi Chis. A Pi Chi is someone who has disassociated from their sorority who that they can have an unbiased opinion when helping\consoling the PNMs (Possible new members). The Pi Chis are all amazing and super helpful. They will talk to you about what you're feeling about certain sororities if you're thinking of dropping or anything like that. The first round of recruitment you go to all of the sororities and talk with them for 30minutes. This was a really great way to meet girls in the sororities and get a feel for what they're like. At the end of this you "ranked" them from ones you like and ones that you wouldn't mind going back to if the ones you liked didn't ask you back.

The second round you go to the sororities that you liked and got asked back to. In the second rounds, the most you can go back to is seven sororities, and I got asked back to four which was a little heartbreaking because I was hoping to get asked back to more. I was still really happy with the ones I got asked back to though. In this round, you still only meet with the sororities for 30minutes. The third and fourth rounds you meet with the girls for 40 minutes and the topics get a lot deeper. The fourth round is called preference. During preference, you got to at most two sororities and rank them from your top one to your second one.

Hours after preference rounds we had bid day where we found out which sorority we got into. I got into Kappa Delta and I couldn't be happier. I love all of the girls and I feel like home there.