Why I Am Against The Sorority 3 'B's Rule

No booze, bars, or boys... really?

10156
Total Sorority Move

I am not in a sorority.

I could not live with a thousand girls, the songs make me nauseous, and I don’t agree with the rules and expectations put in place. I think sororities are great for some people. It is an easy way to make friends, gives girls structure, and provides a reason to buy lots of oversized t-shirts. I do, however, have a problem with some of the outdated rules sororities enforce. The rule that has been grinding my gears the most lately is “The Three 'B’s.” This rule means that boys, booze, and bars are all prohibited for the duration of time that the "Grand Sorority Ruler" sees fit. In other words, Bullsh*t, Bullsh*t and Bullsh*t.

This rule was first introduced to freshmen during recruitment. As they were interviewed vigorously by each srat for a week, they were expected to go back to the dorms at night and avoid boys, drinks, and going to bars at all costs. This was easily done, because rush was held a week before anyone else came to campus. The rule comes back up the night before a philanthropic event, fundraiser, initiation, or any other important event where the sorority would want its members pristine and polished. If anyone is found guilty of breaking any of the three 'B's, they are sent to the principal’s office, where they receive a fine, social probation, and in some cases, suspension. Let’s go through each of the 'B’s…

Booze. This is a pretty obvious one. Your sorority does not want you hungover on the morning of an important event. No one likes a girl throwing up at a formal brunch to support St. Jude. This one makes sense to me, for the most part. What I do not understand is why sororities have no rules against girls drinking a night before a big test, or just before class in general, but when it reflects directly on the sorority, rules magically appear. They discuss this rule with girls under 21, assuming that everyone is going to drink. They basically give their members permission to drink underage, just not during the times they specify.

Bars. This one is closely related to the booze rule. They don’t want you out and most likely drinking 'til three in the morning. They also don’t want you to tarnish their reputation. It is bad etiquette for a member to be seen in such dodgy places before doing something important for their srat. Again, they do not have a rule against bars anytime other than when it reflect poorly on the sorority. If the sorority is against its members going to the bars, they should enforce this rule at all times, not just when it benefits the organization.

Boys. This is the one that really gets my blood boiling. Girls are not allowed to see any boy. They cannot see their boyfriends, guy friends, and I’m not sure how brothers stand. This rule is in place so that girls focus on sisterhood, but they can see other girls who are not in their sorority, just no males. Boys are seen as a distraction. There is no possible way a girl could be around a boy without having sex and losing all control of her body and sexuality. This is an outdated and archaic way to think. This rule not-so-secretly means that the sorority does not want you to shack up with guys during this time, because somehow, that reflects badly upon you, and in turn, the sorority. A woman is entitled to make her own choices for her body, and if she wants to have sex the night before a charity event, assuming the consent of her partner, she should be able to do so; an organization she is a part of should have NO say in the matter. I see posts all the time about how sororities are progressive and accepting of their gay sisters. How does a rule that obviously perpetuates heteronormative views make anyone who is not cisgender and heterosexual feel supported? The sorority is basically saying they prefer and only recognize heterosexuality.

Sororities are trying to improve their public persona, but still have this and many other archaic rules. They offer a safe place for young impressionable girls, but the focus on the reputation and image negates all the good they could do. Sororities need to step into the 21st century, meet a few gay people, and learn to concern themselves with more than image.

From Your Site Articles