10 Things Every Sorority Alumna Knows To Be True

If only I could have stayed a couple more years...

281

When I went alumna from my sorority, it was all a bittersweet experience. Of course it is fun being able to start a new chapter in your life, but leaving behind the women that helped you discover some of the best parts about yourself is extremely hard to do. In the short time that I have been an alumnae, I have discovered all that they don't tell you about no longer being an active member in your chapter.

1. No more notifications.

Gone are the days when you had 15 notifications from your Facebook page, 38 missed messages from the group chat, and a reminder from the Calendar app that you've got an event tonight at seven. In all reality, it sucks not having so many notifications anymore because your phone feels like a dead zone.

2. Your closet won't be full of t-shirts anymore.

Although now you have room for all those business casual clothes for your new big girl job, it also sort of sucks that you won't be getting any of the cutesy shirts that your sisters design for events.

3. You don't have to worry about buying the perfect recruitment outfits.

Don't get me wrong, I loved having a new outfit to wear in my closet, but sometimes it was stressful finding the exact right outfit or one that you felt fit your colors perfectly.

4. You have so much free time, but you also have nothing to do.

I was so excited to have a little extra free time, but then also realized I had nothing better to do and missed the movie nights I spent at the house, little adventures at midnight with the squad, and getting into shenanigans with my girls.

5. You don't know any of the new members, so events even as an alumna feel strange.

It also affects Big/Little, even when you come back for family line pics because you don't know who all the new littles are. It can be strange, but also exciting knowing that you are getting to share this legacy with many new sisters.

6. You get major FOMO when you see sisters are planning events.

Summer Cabin trip? Big/Little Reveal planning? Recruitment photo shoot? I wish I could still be a part of everything! Although I don't miss meetings, I do miss all of the fun photo ops with my girls.

7. You're saving lots of money not paying dues.

You got to do some pretty cool things with that money well spent, but in all reality, I can now spend that money on saving for a trip or treating myself to an occasional spa day.

8. Your sisters still got your back, even though you don't get to see them much anymore.

Just recently I tweeted about being stressed about starting my big girl life, and I had so many of my sisters on there in support, telling me "You got this!" and how excited they were for me. I felt the love just as I did when I was active.

9. You REALLY miss your sisters...but like, REALLY.

It feels physically painful sometimes when you think about not being able to see your sisters as often anymore. It feels like a piece of my heart is missing. But, boy, am I excited for the weekend trips when we are a little bit older to live it up like we're in college again.

10. You get to watch your sisters live their best lives while you get to live yours.

They're excited for me, while I can be just as excited for them. I can't wait to watch them grow more into the people they will be someday.