What My Sophomore Year Of College Taught Me

Sophomore year was one for the books in many ways and I learned a lot about school and myself.

146
Heather Waldo

I can't believe I have finished my sophomore year of college. I have convinced myself that college goes by even quicker than high school. Overall, my sophomore year was pretty enjoyable but there were definitely some challenges along the way. I thought I would look back and talk about some of the lessons I learned.

It's important to do things besides school work.

If you have read any of my past articles or know me personally, you would know I have struggled with finding a balance between work and having fun. However, this past year I really tried to do more things other than going to class and doing homework. I made hanging out with friends more of a priority and told myself to take breaks. From someone who likes being productive all of the time, I can honestly say the time I spent with friends or even down time for myself, really helped me in more ways than one. I would highly recommend setting aside time to do things with others or just being by yourself. It really does help get your mind off of the stresses in life and you feel more motivated to go back to work afterwords. This is something I am still working on, but during my sophomore year of college I think I made more progress in the right direction.

Working with others is vital.

I love doing things by myself. I feel as though I work better when I am alone and the assignment or project is all up to me. This past year I had to work and collaborate more with others and at first this really stressed me out. I like having control in whatever I am doing so trusting others is sometimes hard for me. But this past year really challenged me with more group projects and getting others opinions on my work and I am very grateful for that. I learned that sometimes you just have to let go and hope other people will do what they're supposed to do. Also, I realized that working with others brings different opinions and viewpoints to projects which can be really beneficial. I also got to know more of my classmates and even became friends with some due to working together on projects. While I think I will always like being independent, I came to the realization that being able to collaborate with others is just as important.

Know when to go home.

During my sophomore year of college, I came home a lot less when compared to my freshman year. This is probably a good thing because I became more comfortable with being at school and didn't feel the need to go home every weekend. With that being said, I learned it is still important to go home sometimes. There were times when I wasn't feeling well and could tell I needed to go home but fought against it. Fun fact, I didn't know I had the flu until I almost passed out in my bathroom at school. That was a wake up call for me to go home and see a doctor. So, instead of almost passing out wearing your robe in a bathroom, listen to your body and know when to take a break. I learned that day you have to put yourself and your health first or you can't really do anything. Knowing when to realize something is wrong is just as if not more critical than being able to work hard.

Always keep trying new things. 

During my time spent at college, I realized the only limits you have are the ones you place on yourself. If you tell yourself you can't do something your mind believes it so you don't do it. On the other hand, if you just tell yourself to try your best and learn as you go, you can really accomplish anything. I used to let some things intimidate me or I felt like I could never learn about them. This past year, I took some classes outside of my major and it became apparent to me how much you can really learn if you are willing to try. I found new interests in art, music, science as well as other subjects when I opened my mind to learning more. No matter how old you are, learning new things is still possible and honestly it's pretty fun. I also learned that certain subjects can benefit others, so learning something outside of your field could actually help you within it. Never put yourself in a box thinking you can only do or learn certain things, if you change your mindset you will be amazed at what you can accomplish.

You can still learn despite challenging circumstances. 

I feel like I am obligated to address the elephant in the room of learning during the Coronavirus pandemic. I had to leave my school early this past semester due to the virus and my classes were continued online. At first I was really upset and did not know how I was going to learn in this way. While it wasn't the same, I still committed myself to learning and wanted to end the semester on a high note. It was very challenging to have to learn in a completely new way in the middle of the semester, but I did it. This taught me how you can overcome any challenge even when at first you have no idea how you're going to do it. But just like I said, the only limits you have are the ones you place on yourself. I knew I wanted to continue to learn so I adapted with the changes. Even in the most challenging of circumstances you can still learn and be resilient.

I hope you enjoyed my little recap of my sophomore year of college and found some of the lessons helpful. I cannot believe I will be a junior in the fall and that much closer to graduating. I have learned so much in the last two years and I can't wait to see what lies ahead.