To The Little Girl Who Changed My Heart

To The Little Girl Who Changed My Heart

You are my greatest blessing.

17
To The Little Girl Who Changed My Heart
Nicole Blackwell

I’ve spent twenty-five years hearing that the love you have for your child is incomparable to any other feeling in the world. I’ve always been extremely skeptical of this. After all, I’ve fallen in romantic love, I’m extremely close with my family, I love my friends. I’ve felt a million types of love. However, I’m not a mother so I chose to believe what people told me. But when you were born, the love I felt for you, that intensity, it was overwhelming. Though you are not my child, I love you with a fire so bright that you could be. Your mother is my truest friend, and though I loved her long before I met you, I love her the most for giving me you. You are my best friend, my goddaughter, my whole life.

I think you’ll always know how much your parents treasure you. They’ll show you every day, they’ll raise you, they will be your rock. I want you to always remember how much I love you, though. I may not be around every day with you, but I’ll love you from across states, from across oceans. There isn’t a distance that could ever overshadow how much you mean to me. I promise that in any moment of your life, if you need me, I will be there. You, sweet girl, have changed my whole life. You taught me so much about life and I hope that one day I can give those lessons back to you.

You are the reason that I know how to love. You’ve taught me about compassion, beauty, grace and patience. Watching you grow has been the greatest journey I’ve ever embarked on. Before I met you, I was selfish, impatient and too quick to anger. You made me change my entire outlook on life. I realized that being kind is always the first reaction to have. It is far easier to approach a bad situation with a genuine heart than with a catty attitude. I also learned to always see the best in people and I hope that you do, too. I want you to always remember that even though you’re beautiful, your mind will always be your best feature. Never stop learning. I hope you always have an open heart. I don’t want you to guard yourself from the world. But when you fall in love, I hope you never settle. Find someone who values you and cherishes your heart, just as your family does. I want you to know that after your first heartbreak, I’ll be there. With open arms and no judgements, I promise to help you put the pieces back together. This next part may be the most important advice I ever give you: never, ever, let anyone or anything break you completely. You are strong and graceful and independent. It is OK to fall, but it is never alright to not get back up. Trust me, sweetheart, the world is going to give you so many bumps and bruises, but please don’t let that make you callous. Let me lift you up. Trust in those you love and always remember that everyone has a different story. There is a little bit of good in every single person. Spend your life cultivating the wholesome parts of people’s souls instead of fearing the darkness. Be the light. Always.

I love you.