Ahh FOMO that terrible feeling you get in your gut when you know you are missing out on something good. Everyone, and I mean everyone, gets this feeling from time to time. Don't worry, it's natural. But there are plenty of logical reasons you can't go out, maybe you have a test the next morning, or you have to have a dry weekend, or you simply can't hang, or maybe your body just needs a break from partying. Whatever it may be, just know the FOMO will pass, and you will live. You may miss out on a couple inside jokes or the chance to hookup with a guy if you don't go to that party, but the truth is you'll get other opportunities. So don't sweat it too much, and sit back and try these 11 things to help soothe your FOMO.
1. The absolute number one rule that will help you avoid FOMO is not going on any social media. Whatever you do, DO NOT GO ON SOCIAL MEDIA. If you don't see all the fun you could be having then you won't know what you're missing.
2. Take deep breaths and trust in your decision to not go out. Know that there will be plenty more opportunities for nights out in your life and this is not the end of the world. Remain calm.
3. Distract yourself by focusing on homework you have to do or a good movie. Do anything that will divert your attention from the thing you're missing out on.
4. You can have a wine night in with the girls. My friends and I can have fun doing anything or nothing. Add wine and we totally forget about parties and boys ... who needs them when you have good friends and good wine?
5. Who doesn't love a little Netflix and chill? Whether it's with your boyfriend, best friends or all alone everyone needs a little Netflix and chill from time to time. You'll get so into watching seasons on seasons of your favorite show you won't even realize the whole night passed and you were numb to the FOMO.
6. You can use this opportunity to spend some quality time with your BAE. You two don't need alcohol or a bunch of sweaty people in a cramped house party to have fun. You can have a great time just the two of you. You can even go on that thing that's really rare in college ... I think it's called a date.
7. You can try to workout your FOMO. Sweat it out. Inhale it. Exhale it. Hit the gym or do some at home workouts. Get your booty nice and lifted for the next time you do go out.
8. Have a little me time. Take this time to treat yourself, because after running around all week and stressing about everything you deserve it. In college you hardly ever get time to yourself, so if everyone is out, spend some time rewarding yourself by doing whatever makes you feel good. You will end up being so content you'll forget all about the F-word.
9. This is probably the easiest way to avoid FOMO ... just knock out. If you're asleep theres no way you'll feel any FOMO. You'll also be doing your body a favor by catching on that much needed sleep you've been lacking.
10. If you have other friends who aren't going out, do something fun with them. Go to a movie, have a bonfire, go shopping, get ice cream. You and your friends will end up having such a good time people will start getting FOMO about what your doing.
11. Don't let people make you feel guilty for not going out when you know you have to stay in. One night of FOMO does not compare to the grief you'll feel all week if you know you'll be tired, cranky, hungover and unprepared for classes.
And there you have it, you've gone from:
FOMO be gone.