5 Songs For Your Sleep Playlist

5 Songs For Your Sleep Playlist

This is a list of songs that are prominent in my personal sleep playlist, and I believe they should be added to yours as well.

155
5 Songs For Your Sleep Playlist
Tumblr.com

Ever since I was a sophomore in high school, I’ve always used music as a way for me to go to sleep. I know some people like to fall asleep to classical music, some people love to fall asleep to soundscapes, and even some people love to fall asleep to Beyonce (trust me, I know quite a few people who can fall asleep to her vocals). And then there’s the people who don’t use music at all to sleep (and that's valid). But for me, I like to use a mix of Indie, Folk, and R&B music to compile my personal sleep playlist. If you’re interested in finding more music for your sleep playlist, or you’re interested in starting to create your own sleep playlist, then here are 5 songs you can add right now. By the way, shoutout to Songza (RIP), Pandora, and Spotify for helping me compile my playlist over the years.

1. Night Time by The XX

This song has a soft spot in my heart because this was one of the first songs that was added to my playlist ages ago. I love the airy feeling in the beginning of the song that sets of this ‘Night Time’ feeling that you sense throughout the song. Another thing about this song that I really love is the guitar riffs that are an XX signature. The three things that makes The XX one of my favorite bands are the powerful vocals of Romy Madley-Croft, the signature guitar riffs, and the impeccable beats of Jamie XX. And while those three elements may not sound like a great mix for a calm song, it is actually performed well and is groomed for a song that could be put on a sleep playlist.

2. Blindsided by Bon Iver

Bon Iver have many songs in my sleep playlist. The thing about Bon Iver and the ingenious brain of frontman Justin Vernon is that their songs are designed for you to listen, think, and reflect. Blindsided comes from their debut album, and it was created while Vernon spent a couple months isolated in a cabin in Wisconsin. I recommend listening to the whole album, but for this list alone I recommend for you to put this song on your sleep playlist. While the lyrics are pure poetry, the music itself is calming enough for your body to relax, and prepare to go into a state of slumber. I’m a big Bon Iver fan, so please listen to the song, album, and any of their other albums as well.

3. Rooftop by Melissa McClelland

Now this is a song that I actually knew since I was a kid. If you’re listening to this song, and you’re wondering why it sounds so familiar, then I’ll tell you why. This was the final song played in the episode of Degrassi where Drake’s character, Jimmy, got shot. This song is slightly striking, but also reflective and soothing enough for you to go to sleep. The content of the lyrics may be a little uncomfortable as it touches on suicide, so Trigger Warning for anyone who is not comfortable with anything around that subject matter. But the song itself is a soft, melodic ballad that you can easily fall asleep to. The guitar and vocals on this song is very tranquilizing, yet powerful to also listen to even if you’re not putting on your sleep playlist.

4. Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole

After hearing this song for the first time, for some reason I wanted to cry. I didn’t know the reason why but I had a slight feeling for the reasoning. I sensed that Israel was no longer with us just by the sound of his voice. I have a thing for recognizing lost voices and feeling their energy through their songs (Which is why Jeff Buckley songs are tearjerkers and are common in my playlist as well, but that’s another topic for another day). So I looked on google to see if he was still alive, and I was surely correct about my feeling. Israel Kamakawiwo’ole passed away in 1997 due to a heart attack. I was heartbroken when I found out, but it gave the song much more meaning every time I listened to it afterward. This is a nice soft ukulele version of these two classic songs mashed together. I imagine myself laying next to a beach either at sunset or late at night looking at the ocean. The imagery that this song gives off is perfect for going to sleep. Imagine yourself swaying in the middle of the ocean at night with no worries. That’s what this song can give you during your next moment of slumber.

5. O Superman - For Massenet Remastered by Laurie Anderson

If you want a song that will easily put you to sleep, here it is. This song which is a little over eight minutes long consist of vocalized sounds from Laurie Anderson. Now if you’re into audio art, then you can listen to this song on your free time. But for the sake of sleeping, I can tell you from experience that this song has put me to sleep by the three to four minute mark. I cannot tell you when was the last time I can remember hearing the last part of the song because the majority of the time, I am asleep. Now the song itself is not a bad song. I personally like the message, and what it’s trying to convey. I also like the fact that it’s a non traditional song and it’s something new and nuance for the ears. Again if you want a song that will instantly put you to sleep at night, here it is.

While I only gave you five songs, I personally have 303 songs in my playlist (and the list is not ending). If you want to find more songs in my playlist, then here is the link: https://open.spotify.com/user/121754827/playlist/0...

Trust me, you will not be disappointed in my playlist. Making Spotify playlists are like a side hustle for me, so this will probably not be my last playlist list. I hope that these songs can find their way to your sleep playlists, and for the ones who are starting their first sleep playlist, may your journey to slumber be blissful.