14 Empowering Songs To Help Get Over Being Dumped

14 Empowering Songs to Help Get Over Being Dumped

There is nothing worse than being heartbroken and listening to a sappy love song- blast these empowering anthems through your speakers to get you out feeling better.

2557

Relationships are great: it is wonderful to share so much with another person. But sometimes, they do not always work out, and when they end, it is usually for the better. In no particular order, this playlist of breakup songs can really help bring some positive feelings back into your mind after getting dumped.

During heartbreak, the mind can wander to some really sad places, and all hope seems to be lost. But distractions, especially music, can really help. Many people who get dumped begin to lose senses of self-worth and self-confidence and really doubt themselves, but that way of thinking must be avoided by all costs!

Listening to songs about moving on and becoming strong and confident independently can give anyone a boost of courage and the change of heart they need. Check these out to look on the positive side and start working on yourself instead of being stuck in the past!

1. "Survivor" by Destiny's Child

This song may be one of the most effective songs on the list. The lyrics describe all of the ways you can improve yourself after the breakup, while not hating on your former significant other. Spreading hate isn't exactly a healthy coping mechanism and it certainly doesn't help you become a better person, so be mature: "I won't diss you on the Internet, cause my mama taught me better than that."

2. "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) by Kelly Clarkson

We might not get a Kelly Clarkson flash mob to support us after a breakup, but the vibe of this song is a good backup. The title speaks for itself: as you move on, you're getting stronger. The lyrics help to realize that this is not the end of the world, and better things are still to come.

3. "Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson 

"Since U Been Gone" has been an iconic breakup song since it came out in 2004. It really helps to get the mentality that yes, you are moving on, and that it is for the better.

4. "Really Don't Care" by Demi Lovato and Cher Lloyd

The lyrics to this song come off as a little more angry, and might not be exactly how you feel about your significant other. But, there are parts of the song just purely about not being in the sad state of mind anymore and not obsessing about what happened anymore, which is an important step in moving on.

5. "Best Thing I Never Had" by Beyoncé

What is a breakup playlist without Queen B? This song is about realizing that what you once had was not meant to be and that the end is for the best. "Thank God you blew it. Thank God I dodged the bullet" is perfect for anyone who is out of a relationship that wasn't right anymore.

6. "Run the World (Girls)" by Beyoncé

What is more empowering than this feminist anthem??? Beyoncé is "repping for the girls taking over the world" because girls can do anything. And do NOT need a significant other to get them there.

7. "I'm Still Standing" by Elton John

An oldie but a goodie! Yet another great song about moving on and being happy by yourself: "And I'm still standing after all this time picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind.

8. "Picture to Burn" by Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift is known for the number of songs and albums about her exes that she can crank out and turn into hits. One of her first breakup songs, "Picture to Burn," can help bring out some anger about your break up. It's not the ideal way to feel all the time, but it's natural! It's a good way to just thinking about moving on and not caring about what other people think: "and if you're missing me, you better keep it to yourself."

9. "King of Anything" by Sara Bareilles

This song helps reflect on what might have been wrong in the relationship, and making a swift exit. "So, let me thank you for your time and try to not waste any more of mine, get out of here fast." So, let me thank you for your time and try to not waste any more of mine, get out of here fast." Maybe what seemed to be a great relationship actually had some communication issues, and being single can let you move on and make your own decisions for once. Oh, and let me hold your crown babe.

10. "Miss Movin' On" by Fifth Harmony

This song is all about, as the title says, moving on from what used to be. It also is really empowering and helps us set the right foot forward in being able to become independent in becoming your own person. "I'm finding out who I am and who I am from here on out is gonna be enough." I'm finding out who I am and who I am from here on out is gonna be enough."

11. "Thunder" by Leona Lewis

This song might not be as big of a hit as Leona Lewis's "Bleeding Love," but it helps exemplify what a healthy come back to the end of a relationship should be. "For some things to start, some have to end," and when they end, come back with thunder!

12. "Girl on Fire" by Alicia Keys

This song might not necessarily be a breakup song, but it can definitely boost some confidence. It is all about taking the world by storm and being proud of who you are.

13. "Single Ladies" by Beyoncé

Is it really a breakup playlist without "Single Ladies?" When you're ready to completely move on, this song is a great way to go out and start fresh. Beyoncé says it best: "Cause you had your turn, but now you gon' learn what it really feels to miss me."

14. "Thank U, Next" by Ariana Grande

Ariana Grande's latest song, "Thank U, Next," has changed the game for breakup songs. This is not a song about hating your exes, or being over them and finding the next person, but about having a healthy perspective instead and finding yourself along the way. After all breakups, it is important to recognize that even if you're leaving good memories behind, you are a growing and changing person. And most of all, things coming to an end is just an opportunity for you to work on yourself. The lines, "I've got so much love, Got so much patience, I've learned from the pain, I turned out amazing" show how important it is to move on, recognize your progress, and be proud of yourself.