Sometimes, You Need To Fight To Be Able To Float

You deserve the chance to return to that peaceful pool to relax, to stretch out your muscles and soak in the sunshine.

53
Flickr Creative Commons

Oftentimes, I feel like I am floating through life. Sometimes, there is a sense of ease as if I was in a pool, just floating and minding my own business. The water is warm, there is a slight summer breeze, and I'm at peace without any external matters infringing upon my ability to exist in a realm of relaxation.

Of course, at these times in my life, I do not mean to say that everything is so easy and that I am so passive. No, it is rare that the water isn't plagued with small ripples or that the temperature is perfect. Dare I say that, if this was the case, I would be skeptical, waiting for the water to spill and some major disruption to make waves to interrupt my bubble of happiness.

Sometimes, life allows me to float along and mind my own business, taking the ripples as they come but, generally, there is no major disruption and no thoughts that I shouldn't be able to do as I please.

However, sometimes, there are times when I feel like I'm struggling to swim through rapids. The serene pool is a distant thought, a vague wish, so long as I am flailing and gasping for air in the midst of my surroundings. Floating is not an option when every movement is made difficult by the rapids, while water tugs and threatens to pull you under.

Life, in this instance, cannot accept you to be passive and float along. It demands that you take it by the reins, fight, and be pro-active if you intend to progress. Only after you've made it past the rapids can you find another patch of calm water to float and breathe easy.

In my life, I've concluded that nothing lasts forever. The feeling of floating only lasts so long, and a person can only go so far living life passively before the waves demand action and demand that you decide where you want to go. In those moments, it's crucial to struggle against the current, because no one is going to do it for you. No one is going to fight your battles for you, and sometimes there isn't anyone to cast you a line and pull you out. You need to be able to stay above the water on your own if you don't want to drown.

And why shouldn't you just give in and let yourself be pulled under? A person can only tread water and swim against the rapids for so long before they are too exhausted to even think of exerting any further energy. Maybe the fight isn't deemed worth it, or maybe you don't feel strong enough.

But let me tell you it is worth it. You are worth it. You deserve the chance to return to that peaceful pool to relax, to stretch out your muscles and soak in the sunshine. And why let the water drag you down? You are stronger than you think you are. There is always another gear to shift into, and you can tackle any obstacle that you come face to face with, if not by your own, then you will find the help you need.

Floating is nice, but can only be truly appreciated after you have struggled and fought your way to an oasis. You made it through the fight, and you deserve to rest, so don't give up and keep your head above the water. You deserve to float, so don't give up now.