10 Life Lessons The Breakfast Club Taught Us All

Sometimes all it takes is a Saturday morning in detention to change your life.
4312

A brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess, and a criminal. The Key ingredients to the beloved 1985 movie, "The Breakfast Club." For those of you who have not seen this movie, I highly recommend it. Although it opened in theaters a while back, "The Breakfast Club" is a successful film that still contributes to teenage life today.

After 30 years, the movie about five rather incongruent teens – Andy the athlete, Brian the brain, Allison the basket case, Claire the princess, and Bender the criminal – teach every teenagers a few life lessons just by spending a Saturday in detention together. Here are a few of the life lessons that "The Breakfast Club" taught me.

1. The fastest way to unite a group of total strangers is to create a common enemy.

2. Bad boys and good girls can become a winning combination.

3. Insecurity should be embraced at all times. If you're insecure, just own it! No one can do you better than you can.

4. Everyone has or is going through something that relates to something you're going through. Don't ever feel like you're going through something alone.

5. Nothing and no one is perfect in this world, so don't ever feel less than what you are.

6. You can almost always find friends in the most unlikely places.

7. You learn a lot from a person by simply observing the way they cope with something. Observation before judgement.

8. Don't always judge a book by its cover because sometimes the most quiet people can be the most interesting people.

9. Success in high school does not always mean success later in life. Do not underestimate yourself. Just because you weren't the most popular person in high school doesn't mean you won't be something big later in life.

10. And lastly, sometimes you just have to take risks in life and have fun. Don't be scared to run through the hallways a time or two.

So maybe surrounding yourself with one group of people is not the right way to grow and change. These five teenagers broke out of their comfort zones to seek a new and exciting challenges. As a teenager myself, we all fear the same thing, rejection. So, next time you see something that may not be entirely in your comfort zone, go for it and reach out to others. You too might learn something. And, if one day you see a princess and a basket case walking down the hall together, that's totally cool.

Sincerely yours,

The Breakfast Club