Momma Was Right. Sometimes, Love Isn't Enough

Do not settle for the stars when you've been aiming for the moon.

642
123rf

Growing up, one of the biggest lessons I learned from my mom was a simple phrase with a complicated meaning: sometimes, love isn’t enough.

For a while, I heard it, but I just didn’t get it.

What’s the point of loving someone or being loved if it isn’t going to be enough?

What’s the point of putting all that effort in if it isn’t going to be enough?

What’s the point of sharing those little details and learning someone’s every mood if it isn’t going to be enough?

Why bother meeting and getting close to their family if love won’t be enough?

Why learn their favorite meal or the exact way they like their coffee in the morning if love isn’t enough?

Why give someone all of your love if it just won’t be enough?

Well, it doesn’t quite matter if it’s platonic or romantic, sometimes it just won’t be enough.

I learned pretty quickly how possible it is to love someone with everything you have. To stand by their side and be their cheerleader. To stay up well past midnight just for the text to know they’re home safe. To wish them the best before exams and to remember the important dates.

We deserve someone who not only acknowledges all these little things but who reciprocates it just the same. Someone who won’t complain about having to stay up a little late to make sure you got back to your room okay. Someone who will remind you how much you mean to them, especially on the days you need it most. Someone who cherishes all the time you get to spend together and misses you when it’s been too long.

The most difficult thing to learn is that sometimes, no matter how much effort we put in or how many long nights we share, some people will not appreciate it.

No matter how long we’ve known the person, life changes. Things happen and we can’t always be prepared. The thing to remember is, don’t settle for the stars when you’ve been aiming for the moon.

After all is said and done, remember how much you deserve. Remember your worth. Remember that sometimes, love just isn’t enough.