Someone Great on Netflix

Netflix Original 'Someone Great' Movie Review

The ending poem that made the movie!

219

Someone Great follows New Yorker Jenny Young as she tries to navigate single life after her boyfriend of 9 years breaks up with her. Jenny teams up with her best friends Blair and Erin to try and have an amazing night on the town to forget about her now ex Nate. Jenny does everything in her power to see Nate that night to try and show him what he is missing. But, finally, by the end of the movie, Jenny comes to the harsh realization that maybe she and Nate are just no longer for each other.

Given that this movie is extremely cliché it wasn't the best, but what really made the movie for me was the poem that Jenny read from her journal at the end of the movie. I think that it was extremely impactful and offered some great advice, here it is:

"You think I can have one more kiss?

I'll find closure on your lips and then I'll go.

Maybe also one more breakfast, one more lunch, and one more dinner.

I'll be full and happy and we can part.

But in between means, maybe we can lie in bed one more time.

One more prolonged moment where time suspends indefinitely as

I rest my head on your chest.

My hope is if we add up the one mores, they will equal a lifetime

And I'll never have to get to the part where I let you go.

But that's not real is it?

There are no more one mores.

I met you when everything was new and exciting and the

Possibilities of the world seemed endless, and they still are.

For you, for me.

But not for us.

Somewhere between then and now, here and there, I guess we

Didn't just grow apart, we grew up.

When something breaks if the pieces are large enough you can fix it.

Unfortunately, sometimes things don't break. They shatter.

But when you let the light in, shattered glass will glitter.

And in those moments, when the pieces of what we were catch the sun,

I'll remember just how beautiful it was.

Just how beautiful it'll always be.

Because it was us and we were magic forever."

I loved this poem because it was so real. There is probably nothing more painful than a guy breaking up with you when you saw a future with him. You would do anything in your power to try and have more moments with them because you never want it to end. But in the end, you must realize that if you guys weren't meant to happen, that want for those memories to never end needs to stop. Realize that at some point something stopped working and it's nobody's fault it was just the way that it was meant to happen. Just because the memories are over doesn't mean that you can't reflect on how happy they made you at that moment. When someone walks away from your life, that doesn't mean that they really leave. You can still have "love" for someone that you once loved. It's not as though those feelings disappear, but it just means it is time to move onto something new.