"Someone Great" Is The Netflix Movie Every Girl Needs to See Before She Goes To College

Who knew a chick flick could be so powerful?

12
Netflix // "Someone Great"

SPOILER ALERT: This article WILL contain spoilers. It's inevitable.

I want to start off by saying, I cried. I cried like a little baby while watching this movie and that's saying something.

This movie is about love, friendship, new beginnings, endings, and everything in-between. While the main characters Jenny, Erin, and Blair are making the transition from college to the adult world, this movie is packed with lessons that are just as applicable to college students.

If you haven't seen the movie...WATCH IT NOW. Just in case you don't have access to it, the basic premise of the movie is that Jenny, a 29 year-old writer, gets a job in San Francisco forcing her to leave her New York life behind. The movie itself takes place the day after her nasty break-up with her boyfriend of nine years.

I think the thing that makes this movie so different from other romantic comedies is that while it focuses on a break-up, it's not necessarily as nasty one. It shows that sometimes people break-up. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Nate, the former love interest in the movie, is not portrayed as a "bad guy."

There's a misconception now that in order to break off a relationship of any kind, you need a good reason. In other words, they have to be an ass. A lot of people stay in relationships for far too long when they are "not happy" anymore because their significant other is not a jerk, the relationship has just run its course.

Its TOTALLY okay to end things because you're unhappy. Even if they are a perfectly nice person. It's okay if after nine years, you get your dream job and you and you boyfriend split (Jenny and Nate).

It's a difficult concept to accept because we want to assume that in break-ups, there's a good guy and a bad guy. But honestly, sometimes it's not so simple. Sometimes it's just "sorry this didn't work out guy."

So please, please take the time to watch this movie. It's a fantastic example of how some relationships just don't work out. It's also a lesson on perspective...but, I won't ruin that one for you.