Women don't have to be feminists

Some Women Aren't Feminists And That's OK

For a feminist to ostracize women who claim to not support the feminist movement is a form of hypocrisy.

156
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50YhygwBxgI

In today's society, many women consider themselves to be feminists. Then, if they hear of a woman who claims not to be a feminist, they criticize her, shame her, and even call her uneducated. Making these assumptions and hasty generalizations is unfair. It has almost become as if these women only support other women if they share the same ideology. If not, then they are considered less of an equal. Isn't equality what feminists claim to be all about?

I'm not saying that this feminist movement is pointless or unimportant. I think it is great to bring it to light. But, just because the term is so widespread, doesn't mean we get to disregard others who may not consider themselves feminists.

A great example of an amazing woman who doesn't claim to be a feminist is famous TV personality, Judge Judy Sheindlin. In an interview with Katie Couric, Couric makes the assumption that she and Judge Judy were both feminists. Judy was quick to correct her. They talk about how she was the only woman in her law school class but never considered herself as a feminist. The main point Judy was trying to get across through sharing her experiences in her profession was that whether male or female, it is up to the individual to make whatever they want to make out of life. In her life, she considered herself not as a female judge but simply as a judge who by chance happened to be a woman. She felt that her gender never held her back from doing what she dreamed of. She didn't need to be a part of a women's organization to help her become successful.

My favorite quote from that interview was when she said "You define yourself. If you let others define you, that's a mistake." Fantastic words to live by from Judge Judy. She worked hard and reaped what she sowed.

Another example of this mindset seen in women is in a press conference with Ronda Rousey. A reporter mentions that there is a pay dispute going on in regards to the Australian Women's Soccer Team and asks Rousey if the pay gap is frustrating for her since she is very dominant in her sport. Rousey responds saying that how much one should be paid should be representative of the money one brings in. She says that yes, she is the highest paid female fighter but it's not because she is a female and they wanted to do something nice for her but it was because she worked hard for it. She (literally) fought for that money and is now enjoying the benefits. Again, a great example of a female who is more focused on the individual, not what other people perceive them as.

In both cases, we see that the person asking questions is framing their questions with a preconceived idea that this person is a woman so would, therefore, be a feminist and give the audience the feminist response they're looking for to support them. But their assumptions were wrong and when they got a response that was contrary to their assumption, they were in disbelief. On the other hand, it's Ronda Rousey and Judge Judy. It's not like these reporters would call them out on not being feminists because of the risk of backlash these reporters may get in calling out a celebrity.

In a2014 YouTube video from The Feed, a reporter covers the viral hashtag #WomenAgainstFeminism. The reporter, filled with sarcasm, says "...surprisingly, they're really ill-informed. I was gonna say dumb but as a journalist, I have to remain impartial." while then flashing the words "They're Dumb!" on the screen. Throughout the video, she quickly flashes photos that correspond to the use of this hashtag. Women all over the world would post selfies of them holding signs that show the reasons why they are against feminism. Some of these sign say, "I don't need "feminism" because I don't need a label defining me," "I don't need feminism because guys CAN compliment me nicely," and "I don't need modern feminism because my sexuality is empowering. I am not weak and most men aren't evil." Personally, I don't think these statements make these women sound "dumb" or "ill-informed."

By criticizing these women, the reporter in the video is being contradictory to what feminists claim to believe in.

"Men and women should be equal in all things", says the director of content at Hillary for America on what feminists stand for. Not only that, but it seems unfair that these women are receiving much more criticism about their differing beliefs compared to Rousey and Judge Judy.

A change in our society should all tie back to the bigger concept of being an individualist. Yes, the term may sound a little selfish but again, it's about making a name for yourself through your own blood sweat and tears, not letting anyone tell you what you can and cannot do. Plus, this term applies to everyone! No one can tell you what you can or cannot do, or should or should not believe in. Everyone has different beliefs and we should at least recognize and respect that. Times are changing, but the level of respect for each other should not.