Some Small Fandom Experiences

Some Small Fandom Experiences

Being part of a small fandom has given me some new experiences and it's been pretty great.

182
Some Small Fandom Experiences
Twitter

So I have a Tumblr blog online. If anyone who reads this decides to try and find me, GOOD LUCK. Some of those who do read this do follow me on Tumblr too, and to them, I apologize for all the stuff I've spammed your blog with. Being on Tumblr though has provided me with experience in fandom. There are a number of fandoms actually that I am a part of. I want to talk about a relatively small fandom though that I am a part of and some cool things that I have experienced.

1. People read my tags. This means that when I lose my shit over a post people are reading it. Tags are how you organize your blog-posts on Tumblr and in mine you will find me shouting and swearing. Being in a relatively small fandom has led to some of my tags getting added to posts so that EVERYONE can read them. Normally, only people who follow me can read my tags, but when they get added to a post then everyone who follows the person who added my tags can then read them as well. It is both flattering and terrifying when this happens.

2. People react to my tags. This same person who reblogs and adds my tags to posts will send me messages about my tags. This has led to me screaming internally many times.

3. I've made new friends. Being a part of a relatively small fandom has led to new friends who also lose their shit like I do. It's brilliant really. We lose our shit together and suffer together. And nobody can see us and judge us for it.

4. I've learned more about time zones. Normally I have the time difference between the U.S. and the U.K. memorized, and the difference between here and France. With this new friendship though I have had to add Australia's time difference to the U.S. Fun fact: Australia is 19 hours ahead. That means that when I am talking with my new friend she is usually into my tomorrow. It's kind of cool. I am talking across time.

5. I interact more in the fandom. This has been a whole new experience for me. I've been on Tumblr for a few years and had never really interacted with others or within fandom. I am way too shy about doing that, but with this smaller fandom, it's different. It's been so good too! I love it.

But yeah, these have been some of the things I have experienced with the smaller fandom. It's been great and I look forward to whatever else happens with the show this fandom has sprouted from. FYI the show is Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

I'm sure those who have read some of my other stuff are a little sick of my ramblings about this show. I'm sorry, but I really love it and it has given me the listed experiences. I will continue to love the show and the fandom too. I have had the best conversations with my new friend. I'm not sure where I was going with this listicle, but I just wanted to share my experiences of being a part of a small fandom. Big fandoms are great and all, however, I think smaller ones have more to offer.