Some new New Year's Resolutions

Some new New Year's Resolutions

Not your average resolutions...
1

Everyone starts their year off with a promise to go to the gym, eat better, be nicer, or whatever other way they think they can change their lives this year. New year, new you, right? Unfortunately, most people don't really follow through with these resolutions and give up within the month. This kind of defeats the purpose of the resolution though, why promise you're going to better yourself if you don't put in the effort to do so? I've never really been one for making resolutions, partly because I'm perfect and also because I know I won't stick with them. This year is different though, instead of the usual "work out more" resolution, I want to make a promise to change things about myself that actually matter, not just my dress size. My resolution this year is to change the way I see myself and the way I act on a day to day basis. I figured the best way to do this is to share it with others, now that it's in writing and you all have read it, it makes it harder for me to give up.

For me, the biggest obstacle I hope to over come in 2016 is feeling so self conscious. Often times I find I don't enjoy the moment enough because I'm too caught up in my own head. Instead of worrying about what other people are thinking about you, focus more on what you think about yourself. If you feel confident, it shows and it changes the way other people see you. This is something I have been trying to do for a while and have been getting a lot better with. Sure, I don't wake up every morning and look in the mirror thinking, "Wow, I'm amazing." Does anyone? There will always be days when you're going to feel less than 100% but the goal for the upcoming year is to just keep thinking about those better days and knowing the feeling will pass.

Another good resolution to make this year is to sign up for new things. Often times, I don't like leaving my comfort zone and won't try something new unless I have someone to do it with me. That's a ridiculous way to live life because if I base all of my decisions on other people, I'll never know what I like for myself. By doing things on your own, you allow yourself to meet new people who share similar interests with you. Staying in your comfort zone will eventually get boring, so it's better to expand your horizons and find out what you never knew you could do.

Building on that, talking to new people and really getting to know them is another way to broaden your horizons. I'm not saying stop random people on campus and force conversation upon them, but if someone you don't know sits next to you in class, be friendly! You never know what kind of person someone is until you get to know them. Some of my best friends are people who, upon first meeting, I never thought I would be friends with. But now, I can't imagine NOT being friends with them. Actually talking to people and really listening to what they have to say can be really surprising. Making a real connection with people can change your whole outlook on things.

Finally, and in my opinion, the most important resolution: to dance more. Whenever you have the chance, just dance. This is something I learned this year, after so many parties of awkwardly bobbing in the corner I realized I would have way more fun if I just danced, so I did. Turns out those nights where I just dance like crazy are always the best nights. Have fun for yourself and don't worry about everyone else in the room. I promise you'll be way happier at the end of the night and it's also a KILLER workout.

When it comes to making New Year's resolutions, it's better to commit yourself to something you actually want to do or change. If it's something you care about, you're more likely to stick with it past February. Make every day count because you know how quickly time flies, you might as well make the most of it.