11 Must See Movies To Make You Fall in Love With Film

These films solidified my love of movies - hopefully you'll enjoy them, too.

20
Tech Insider

Hello reader, I've listed a few films that have either made or solidified my love for movies. Usually a "Top 10" list is required (preferably I'd like to do five and call it a day) but today you will receive eleven must-see movies I loved (and hopefully you'll love them, too).

11. The Matrix (dir. The Wachowskis)

Y2K was hot on our tails in this hodge-podge of cyberpunk, sci-fi, action and Taoists philosophy. It's a cluster of ideas but is executed with the finesse and polish of an anime. Are we truly free? Are we truly slaves to what we can see, feel, smell (which are just electrical impulses processed through our brain?) If we were truly to fight against a system, can we rise above or are we meant to be cast down like Icarus flying too close to the Sun? These are some of the complex questions "The Matrix", starring Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne, raised as well as some heart rates with its stunning and genre-defining action sequences. Now the sequels aren't as sharp as the first but whether you've seen it a million times or not at all it is truly an enthralling ride from beginning to end.

10. Sleepless In Seattle (dir.Nora Ephron)

Now one for the lover in you. This is one I saw when I was a lot younger but still found interesting (especially since the only thing I knew Tom Hanks for at the time was Woody in "Toy Story"). It's a classic romance in a modern age. A widower in Seattle calls in to a radio show (see, modern?) about his desire to find love again. One of the listeners happens to be Meg Ryan's character who's unsatisfied with the man she is affianced to and begins to admire Tom Hanks and his son through many a coincidence and hi-jinks. If you need something to watch when you and a date are cuddled up, pop some popcorn and watch this Nora Ephron classic.

9. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (dir. David Yates)

J. K. Rowling's wonderful creation comes back for a fifth time and things are changing in the wizarding world. Harry has come face to face with the Dark Lord Voldemort and Dumbledore has vanished. Harry, Ron and Hermione gather with others to strengthen their magic skills and fight off the Death Eaters as well as learning a thing or two about growing up. With a star studded cast and one of the most intense magical fights in film, this is easily my in my top five "Harry Potter" films and top twenty of my personal favorites (but that's a list for another time). Take part in this magical adventure again and again.

8. Born Invincible (dir. Jospeh Kuo)

Now I know I mentioned hodge podges earlier but I have a very, shall we say, eclectic taste in films. I came across this one when my step dad first realized I had an interest in martial arts. Now most people have seen a Bruce Lee, Jackie chan or Jet Li movie -- but this was something else. Old school beyond old school. It stars Carter Wong as the murderous Chief Chen a master of Tai Chi which makes him practically invincible. A school of kung fu comes against him after he murders their old master, and the fights are as intense and flashy as any modern martial arts masterpiece. The expert choreography from a young Yuen Wo Ping ("The Matrix", "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon", "Kill Bill") makes sure of that. It's a story with a lot of heart and action to the brim. If you find it at your local video store it's definitely worth a watch.

7. Purple Rain (dir. Albert Magnoli)

With Prince's passing and my sudden craving for nostalgia, when I heard a theater nearby way playing "Purple Rain" on the big screen not only did I go, but I convinced most of my friends to go with me. We had the theater to ourselves that night and as soon as that all too familiar chord began to play and you hear Prince's voice say, "Dearly Beloved. We are gathered here today to get through this thing called Life," I teared up because I knew we had truly lost a great legend. Then my sorrow became joy as I realized all the people who came with me that hadn't seen the movie had their eyes glued to the screen. They were enamored by the story of a young man with a dream and the many obstacles that face him...especially when he and his rival become involved with the same girl! It's thrilling, it's heartfelt, and has one of the best movie soundtracks known to man. If your theater is showing it buy a ticket and become immersed in the Purple Rain.

6. It Follows (dir. David Robert Mitchell)

This indie darling is always worth mentioning. Set in Detroit a young girl meets a guy and has sex with him which (as he later reveals) makes her contract a "demon" that follows you with the intent to kill you unless you pass it on to someone else. You're the only one who can see it, and if it kills you, it goes back to kill all who have passed it on! It's a wonderfully terrifying movie with plenty of homage to classic horror tropes (even a soundtrack reminiscent of John Carpenter) and some new twist which makes it one the most scary films in a decade. Want to not be able to trust people around you for a few days? Pick this up and let the fear begin.

5. Inception (dir. Christopher Nolan)

Yes you are correct, the same guy who did the Christian Bale "Batman movies". Well somewhere in between those he crafted a masterwork on par with the Matrix. Blasphemy you say? Well this movie crafts a world where dreams and ideas are up for profit and only the best of the best dream hackers can incept a dream or plant an idea to make the dreamer believe it was their own. Starring Leonardo Di Caprio, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy and Ken Watanabe, its excellent acting, practical effects, and thought provoking plot makes this a film to enjoyed or analyzed for years to come.

4. Daddy's Home (dir. Sean Anders)

In this hilarious comedy starring Will Ferrell, a step dad looking for acceptance from his new kids routine gets a kick in the rear when their real dad (Mark Walhberg) comes in, trying to usurp Will's character and keep all the kids affection to himself. It's good to see Ferrel and Wahlberg together again (they appeared together in "The Other Guys") as a comedic duo and frankly to see a good comedy in general. It's got the laughs and the feels for any casual movie goer and with Thomas Haden Church and Hannibal Burress thrown in the mix it makes for a side-splitting good time. It's one of those movies I can watch over and over and still get enjoyment from it.

3. The Shining (dir. Stanley Kubrick)

"Here's Johnny!" This chilling entry is easily one of the best films ever made . Jack Nicholson stars as a writer who takes his family to a hotel in the mountains to avoid distractions. Instead of being bothered by just an active child and a curious wife, vengeful and malevolent spirits coerce him into killing his family, and only his son Danny has the ability to stop the madness. This is a visually stunning film full of classic horror imagery still used today. The Kubrickian touch is apparent throughout and adds great style to this visceral and terrifying film. Don't watch it alone.

2. The Lion King (dir. Roger Allers, Rob Minkoff)

What can I say about this movie that hasn't already been said? I used to believe everyone had seen "The Lion King", but one day I was proven wrong. My girlfriend and I were invited to a movie party where the host had never before seen it. I was shocked to say the least. Of course I hyperbolized the situation with, "Where is your childhood?" When we all sat down and watched it -- when we heard the opening chant for '"Circle of Life" and we saw the brave Mufasa sacrifice himself to save his son and the evil Scar takeover his brother's kingdom it became apparent that even though the film was meant for children it has enough for even young adults today. The plot is uniquely Shakespearean and it still has enough Disney magic to entertain all ages. Effortlessly one of the best animated films ever.

1) Speed Racer (dir. the Wachowskis)

Alright. Wipe those confused looks of your faces. Yes I like "Speed Racer" starring Emille Hirsh, Christna Ricci, Matthew Fox and more. This movie gets a bad rep because A: It's not as good as "The Matrix" even though it has the same directors, and B: It's too artistic, and that art isn't well known to most. That art? Anime. If you ever watch an anime, especially action-centered anime, you'll notice similar aspects. If a character is running really fast, punching or kicking with great speed there will be "speed lines" drawn to emphasize the impact of what's to come. "Scott Pilgrim VS. The World" used these to amazing effect, but in "Speed Racer" it's used subtly and expertly in a fight scene on the ice capped mountains. Conversations between main characters in an anime will focus on their face and the focus can be switched back and forth to show the emotional importance of what each character is saying; this is also done with impressive finesse in "Speed Racer". It honors the original show and the newer one from Nickelodeon with it's bright colors, car design, and with a few easter eggs here and there for die hard fans. Top that off with a wonderful score by Michael Giacchino ("The Incredibles", "Up", "Star Trek") and you have a film that is a blast through and through.

So there you have it, these were some of my favorite films old and new, beloved and obscure, and in no particular order. I hope you enjoy my article and take some time to enjoy these films. I am Patrick Smith reminding you to have a good night and keep on watching.