Some Dogs Actually Do Need A Babysitter

Some Dogs Actually Do Need A Babysitter

Anxiety is rough for some dogs (pun completely intended).

111
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiGRWvYj43i/?taken-by=gunnnnnnnnnnnnnner
Raven Olson

Big eyes. Wet, black nose. A smile that can literally stop traffic. Dogs are too pure for this world. They're your family, most loyal companion and the cutest little best friend you could ever ask for (sorry, cat lovers, this article clearly doesn't apply to you). To say the least, if you don't greet a dog before their owner, I'm judging you. They're pretty much better than people in every way. But just because they don't walk on two legs doesn't mean they don't have similar emotions. Dogs can suffer from the same amount of anxiety as you do, maybe even worse.

Over the summer, I dog-sat four dogs. It was the best job ever because who wouldn't want to get paid for hanging out with a dog all day? It's the dream. But there is actually a lot of stigma behind dog-sitting. I noticed whenever I explained why I was walking a dog that wasn't my own, people would smirk and call the dog spoiled.

First off, rude random stranger with the chihuahua.Little do these so-called "loving dog owners" know that the moment I had to leave this same dog to go to a doctor's appointment, it was absolutely heartbreaking. As soon as the door closed, I heard barks of panic. I locked the door as he scratched on the other side. I felt a pinch of pain when I walked down the hall, howls echoing the walls. He thought I was abandoning him. What's worse is that he already thought his owner abandoned him. Second off, people have no idea how emotionally intelligent dogs are.

In a study conducted by Dr. Barbara Sherman, she explains the harsh realities of separation anxiety in dogs. The reason why your golden retriever tore your entire couch apart while you were gone for an hour isn't because he's a bad boy (there are only good boys, thank you very much). Sherman explains that if your furry pal is truly your best friend, he probably has developed a "hyperattachment" towards you. Do you let your dog cuddle with you in bed? Does he snuggle up next to you during the game? Then he probably freaks out when you leave. It's more common than people think—Sherman says, "A recent marketing survey of dog owners indicated that 17% of dogs that receive regular veterinary care exhibit clinical signs consistent with separation anxiety. The disorder is diagnosed in 20% to 40% of dogs that present to specialty behavior clinics…In most studies, approximately 50% of affected dogs are mixed breed." Some dogs are so anxious that they are prescribed medication such as Xanxus or Diazepam. So give Sparky a break, dogs are pack animals and you're their leader—it only natural that they need guidance while you're gone.

Each dog I had the pleasure of being friends with this summer suffered from extreme anxiety. Their owners sympathized with their dog's attachment issues so they hired me. I think it's important for more dog owners to follow their example instead of judging them for caring about another being's quality of life. You know their collar, not their story (sorry, I hate me too).

Gunner, a Catahoula/Dutch Shepard mixRaven Olson

My buddy Gunner loves the dog park and can't eat too many treats or he'll vomit on a fur carpet that can only be hand washed. I still have nightmares. Anyway, he's the kindest, sweetest angel. He needed to be watched for a week while my best friend, Raven, was on a cruise with her family. Gunner is essentially Raven's child, so I already bonded with him but didn't realize how terrified he was to be alone. I couldn't/wouldn't leave his side. You can visibly tell how panicked he gets when you walk to the door without grabbing his leash. He suffers from abandonment issues and extreme anxiety. Due to this, he barks for hours and ruins furniture. He even learned how to open doors, which is actually pretty impressive. Raven is a great dog mom and puts him in doggy daycare and hires dog-sitters. Dog owners, be like Raven.

Barkley, a mix breed.Pedro Raul Alvarez III

This lazy doggo Barkley, ironic because he never barks, is my brother Raul's dog. He loves cuddles and pretending to be a lapdog. He's so gentle and loving that you actually forget that you can't feel your legs when he's been on you for hours. Sadly, Barkley was a stray and showed signs of prior abuse. He refuses to eat unless someone is in the room with him and actively self-inflicts pain if he's left alone for too long.

Nymeria, a Shiba InuStephanie Alvarez

My other brother and his wife, Chris and Stephanie, have two little fur babies named Nymeria (hell yeah, Game of Thrones) and Cody. They are very well trained dogs and love to curl up next to you as you watch Parks and Recreation. But immediately when their owners left, they barked for hours regardless of me being there. Cody cries and shakes when my brother just leaves the room. He sometimes gets so excited by his return that he pees himself. Nymeria is calmer than Cody but I catch her staring at the door waiting for my brother to come home.

Cody, a maltipooStephanie Alvarez

It's important to realize that dogs have emotions and thoughts. They aren't put on this earth for your convenience, they need to be treated with respect. So stop judging people for caring about their best friends, it doesn't matter that its an animal. Your dogs let you dress them up like idiots for Halloween so the least you can do is give them some company while you're out of town. Don't be smug, love your pug. Hire a dog-sitter.