6 Personal Social Media Pet Peeves I Have And You Probably Do, Too
Lifestyles

Nobody wants to see your child on their news feed for the 50,000,000th time in a day, Susan.

62
macbook laptop and iphone X displaying Facebook
Tim Bennett

Social media - these two words may not be too much, but they have so much impact in today's society. With our generation, it all started with the now-might-as-well-be-defunct Myspace in 2003. Then, along came Facebook. Then Twitter in 2006, Instagram in 2010, Snapchat in 2011, and Lord knows how many other platforms I don't know of yet.

Now, with me being a social media maven of sorts (I mean, it's literally part of my job), I've learned many of the tricks and tips on how to succeed in sharing your thoughts and ideas with others, and I still continue to learn along the way. I've tried all of these aforementioned platforms and I can tell you that, naturally, I've discovered some pet peeves with social media.

1. Algorithms.

If you are a creator in any format, you hate the algorithms of Facebook and IG. Like, not even just casually hate them, but sincerely hate them. Chronological feeds are nonexistent, so now you can catch yourself liking your crush's pic from six days ago. Good luck trying to get your work to be seen, because with these algorithms you'll have to work twice as hard! Yay!

2. Snapchat's worsening updates.

Jenna Day

Unfortunately, Snapchat basically forces its users to update the app. Sadly, I wish I could say each update is worth the hassle. In my personal opinion, Snap's updates just get more horrendous by the day: Everyone's stories moving to the left, celebrity stories to the right, Bitmojis replacing the selfie icon, and it just goes on and on. At this point, Snap, why bother? This should serve as a lesson to literally everybody: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

3. When it makes you doubt your abilities.

You know when you look through your news feed and see all these people from high school doing big things, and you're like, "I just opened a pickle jar!" It's the worst, isn't it? That's why I advise taking a break from social media occasionally to refocus and remember not to compare yourselves to others too much, because not only is it due to Photoshop most of the time but also, you never know what someone might be going through!

4. When it makes you really, really hate people.

Andrew Neel

If you were already a misanthrope before this, social media can make you hate people even more. With news stories of people being jerks or trolls just being nasty, you will be left seething with the rage of 100 dragons. You'll be prompted to take a break from it all for this reason, too.

5. People who clog your feed every day.

Everyone has that one friend on Facebook who just seems to post a status every single day or every hour on the dot. Seriously, if you're going to do this, just make a fricking Twitter. Praise the lord for the "Unfollow" feature on Facebook!

6. The stuff people do for a retweet.

I'm not even kidding. People have, can, and absolutely will post anything on social media for a few likes, retweets, and overall just some attention. It's actually really embarrassing.

There's honestly so many more than just these six things that I can't stand about social media in general. But overall, it's best to leave this article with this adage: Social media is truly a blessing and a curse.