What Is Social Comparison Theory And How Does It Affect You

FYI: It definitely affects you and your self-worth.

302
Unsplash

The need to understand the self is very strong. We all want to make sense of who we are and what our purpose is. One of the theories that attempts to explain how we do so is Social Comparison Theory.

What is this theory, you might ask? According to Psychology Today, Social Comparison Theory states, "We determine our own social and personal worth based on how we stack up against others." This means that we use our similarities and differences to describe ourselves. We compare ourselves to other people to figure out who we are.

This theory outlines a way in which we self-assess based on other's lives. We compare our actions and see where we think they lie. If we perform the same duties as someone who is successful in their career, we might assume that we are also successful because we did the same things they did.

Brian Clark on Copyblogger points out an interesting feature of this theory. In his article about Contrast storytelling, he says, "We seek to emulate others who we perceive as doing better than us, but only if we feel similar enough to them that their status is achievable. " What he is implying here, is that we only like to compare ourselves to people we feel we can become. His article details how to use this theory to sell your product with contrast storytelling.

What I really want to dive into, however, is how we compare ourselves. When someone closely aligns with us, we like to find ways in which we are similar to boost our own self-worth. When we get caught up comparing ourselves to someone we feel disconnected from, it can send us spiraling into depression.

With social media being so popular, it's a lot easier for us to exercise the principles of this theory. We have many images and influencers to compare ourselves to. They are streamlining products with their use of this theory. They know that people who want to be like them will buy the products they use, so they strike up deals with companies that fit their brand.

When someone buys that product, they feel connected to that influencer and they self-assess that using the product increases their self-worth because that amazing person they follow used it too. It's honestly an amazing way to look at social influencers and wonder why they are successful.

We like to know that we are doing our best, and when someone we align with tells us that the product we use is amazing or that the lifestyle we have is the best, we feel good about ourselves. That is the essence of this theory.

Social Comparison Theory is certainly something I find interesting. I feel that with social media it has truly become a well-known theory that businesses are using to promote their products and services. I feel that this theory highlights humans' need for social interaction. We all enjoy being around other people to an extent, and we love having someone to look up to.

When we have a hero that closely relates to our lifestyle and our personal opinion of ourselves, it feels good to know that they also struggle with things we do and use the products we use every day.