13 Ways Living With Social Anxiety Changes Your Life

13 Weird Things I Do On A Normal Basis, Thanks To My Social Anxiety

What's everyday to me is incredibly strange to you. Social anxiety is funny that way.

30

Many people have social anxiety. Being anywhere outside of whatever confined space you define as "safe" can and will be overwhelming. As an adult, social anxiety isn't an excuse. You still need to go to class, grocery shop, and make phone calls. If not, your life may be imperatively fucked. Here are 12 weird things I do because of my crippling social anxiety.

1. If I see a car approach near a pedestrian crossing, I act like I'm not about to cross so I don't feel awkward if they try to wait for me. 

2. I write out a script before I have to call an unfamiliar phone number. 

3. I force myself to speak in classes that have mandatory participation within the first five minutes of class. 

4. I hate eating in public. 

5. I wear sunglasses in the winter so people don't see my face. 

6. I consistently nod so my professors know I understand, even if I don't. 

7. I do daily tasks like showering, taking out the garbage, and doing laundry at late hours of the night so no one sees me. 

8. I force myself to partake in cognitive behavioral therapy. 

9. I drink before going to an event so I'm more social. 

10. I call close friends while doing any sort of social activity, such as walking in public. 

11. I always feel compelled to pay for activities I do with friends, even when it's clear that I don't have to. 

12. I pace around unfamiliar stores until I see someone else go to the checkout first. 

13. I need to know exactly how to do something before trying it. 

Social anxiety is nothing to downplay. Social anxiety is not simply disliking the need to speak in class. Social anxiety is something that impacts every aspect of someone's life.