So You Want To Get Your Own Place

So You Want To Get Your Own Place

Everything you need to know before you go out on your own.

393
So You Want To Get Your Own Place
Tumblr

At some point in our lives there comes a time where we all have to set out on our own, as much as I hate to admit it. Whether you’re the person longing for more freedom from mom and dad, an incoming college freshman living in your first dorm or just wanting a place for yourself, the process can be rough. I’ve lived by myself for two years now and loved every single minute of it. When I tell people that I live on my own, I get 50 percent reactions of praise and 50 percent reactions of pity. Those that praise the idea stand in awe that someone can live on their own, pay their own bills, live their own life and so on. Those that share signs of pity with me tend to think it’s a bit sad that I’m on my own. They’d rather hear I’m with roommates or a significant other. Either way, the feeling is refreshing to me. The concept of being on my own and doing things on my own and learning along the way is a thrill for me. After two years, I am now deciding to change my roommate situation and move to a new apartment complex. Being that this is round two, let me share some tips for those of you that are interested in getting out on your own.

Do Your Research

It’s as simple as that. If you’re looking into an apartment or even a place to rent (i.e. a house, condo, etc), there are several websites that are great for use. Apartments.com, Apartment Guide, Trulia, and Zillow are some great tools to start your search. Check into the areas you want to look at and see what they have for rent. Gather prices, phone numbers, office hours, etc. It’s also a good idea to have in mind what you would need on-hand for what you are looking for in an apartment in regards to amenities. Get a notebook and make a list of what you find. Afterwards, I find it always helps to check reviews for these as well. Don’t let one comment scare you away from a complex as certain properties change management. It’s best to keep recent comments in mind as well as scores/ratings.

Drive Around

Once you’ve created a list of the places you’re interested in, go for a drive! This is one of the best ways to get an outside look before you go inside. The outside matters just as much. I recommend doing this in order to check the outside out, see if the properties have appeal, check to see what parking is like as well as driving along with the neighborhoods. There’s no sense in being in a neighborhood you don’t feel safe in so you’ll be doing yourself a favor.

Talk to Management

You’ve gotten a glance at the outside, it’s time to check out the inside. Stop into the leasing office or give them a call to more information as far as availability of units and special offers that the managers could give you for moving in. It’s also always a good idea to show your face and establish a relationship ahead of time especially if you’re looking into a building that would suit you and your situation perfectly.

Schedule A Tour

If you like what you see, schedule a tour! If everything has begun to add up so far in your venture, ask if you can have a tour of a unit so that you can make sure what’s inside matches everything on the outside. This will also give you a better picture as far as you being able to see yourself in the community you’re looking into.

Have Your Finances in Order

Make sure you have enough money for application fees, deposits (holding and/or security), rent and so on. It’s a sticky situation to be thrown into something that you can’t afford and says a lot to the management team if you show interest but can’t pay for it. Make sure you have money saved or money coming in that can help cover your costs along the way.

Check Your Timing

This one seems silly but sometimes unit availability can be important! If you’re moving out of an apartment and into a new one it’s best to make sure you have something secured. Make sure everything works out with timing along with your finances as well. You don’t want to run into a situation where you are late on paying something the first time a payment is due.

Fill Out An Application

If everything checks out on your end and on the apartment’s end, fill the application out! This is the catalyst to the leasing process that kicks off everything for you and gets the ball rolling in getting your new place! Fill it out and be honest!

Follow Up

The approval process can take some time. Apartment complexes will have to run credit checks, background checks along with rental verification (if applicable). This might take five to 10 business days so give them time but be sure to follow up when you can. This shows that you’re still interested in their unit and can benefit you.

Sign A Lease

Once you’ve been approved, sign a lease! Go over the information in the lease that is given and make sure you understand it all before signing. The managers are there to help explain anything that you may not understand and it’s important to ask. This can cover things like your security deposit, the shape of the apartment, rules, what’s allowed and what isn’t, pool hours, any quiet hours, and so on.

Start Packing!

Last but not least, start packing! Find some boxes at your local grocery store or drugstore and begin to pack everything! It’s also helpful to get trash bags for trash or for donations along with tape and sharpie to label things. Be sure to also look into the pricing for U-Hauls too in case you need it!

Looking at this list might seem like a lot and it can be. For a lot of people the moving process can be stressful, I know it is for myself. Keeping organized, making lists and contacting whoever needs to be contacted can help keep things in line. Remembering tips from this list can help as well with what needs to happen in the process to ensure you have a smooth journey in getting your first place!