So You Don't Love College?

So You Don't Love College?

A letter to students who aren't having the "best four years of their lives."

277

Throughout high school, you are awaiting the "best four years of your life." Everything is in preparation for four years of parties, studying, and meeting life-long friends. And you can hardly wait.

But what happens when you get to school, and things aren't how you expect them to be?

The detrimental effects of social media and societal expectations work the hardest on the college experience. First, we are expected to go to college immediately following high school. Then we are supposed to instantaneously click with strangers from the start and live out "the best four years of our lives."

But sometimes, life isn't so perfect.

This is a harsh realization. Everyone around you seems to be "living their best lives" and you are stuck feeling isolated and lonely. This is not what you expected and if these are supposed to be the best four years, you don't want to see what the future holds.

I am here to reassure you that this is entirely normal. Everything takes adjustment. Maybe you'll find your people a little later, or maybe the college social scene and expectations aren't for you. Either way, everything will be okay. While yes, many people do love college, the indication that these four years have to be your best four years is, frankly, sad.

There is so much more to see and so much more life to live. Do not worry if you feel like college life isn't what you expected. And do not worry if you simply aren't in love with college.

Everyone is different. Maybe it will just take you more time to adjust. Or maybe you'll dislike the experience in general. That doesn't mean you can't find the good in your situation (as you are so lucky to even be receiving a college education). Just focus on graduation and getting your degree!

No matter what, do not think that you are weird or your dislike for the college life is abnormal. There are so many people in similar positions. No one portrays the bad on their social media, as they want everyone to believe that their life is wonderful.

So, just do your thing, work hard, and try to make the best out of your situation. You'll be out before you know it!