The Snubbed Best Musical To Listen To Right Now, Based On Your College Major

Your girl is definitely going to listen to "Something Rotten!" (and all of the others, TBH).

44

Likely the most highly-anticipated Tony Award given out every year is Best Musical. This is where shows that have really made it to the top get honored for their achievements and the wonderful production that they've devoted their time to. This year at the 2018 Tony Awards, "The Band's Visit" was given this extraordinary honor, beating out "Frozen," "Mean Girls," and "SpongeBob Squarepants."

Every year only has one Best Musical, but that doesn't mean there aren't some gems out there that don't get the recognition they deserve.

1. Biology — "SpongeBob"

Biology majors are all too familiar with the ins and outs of natural life. Nothing so clearly exhibits that than this vibrant and colorful under the sea musical. "SpongeBob" was nominated for Best Musical in 2018 and lost to The Band's Visit. Listen to this musical here.

2. Communications — "Mean Girls"

Communications majors need to know every aspect of how communication works, even within the circles of high school girls. "Mean Girls" will give you the tip of the iceberg when it comes to that very unique form of communication. "Mean Girls" was nominated for Best Musical in 2018 and lost to "The Band's Visit." Listen to this musical here.

3. Music — "School of Rock"

Music majors usually delight in all different types of music and should be able to identify just about any of them. "School of Rock" brings all the delight of rock to a musical theatre setting and even adds in some talented kids into the mix. "School of Rock" was nominated for Best Musical in 2016 and lost to "Hamilton." Listen to this musical here.

4. Theatre — "Something Rotten!"

Although theatre majors would absolutely appreciate experiencing any of these musicals and probably already have listened to all or most of them, that doesn't mean that they wouldn't appreciate a good musical suggestion. "Something Rotten!" was nominated for Best Musical in 2015 and lost to "Fun Home." Listen to this musical here.

5. Education — "Matilda The Musical"

To go into education, you have to have a strong passion for learning and for kids/teens. This musical follows the story of one very special little girl. "Matilda" was nominated for Best Musical in 2013 and lost to "Kinky Boots." Listen to this musical here (Original London Cast).

6. Journalism — "Newsies"

Journalism majors are ready to bring news to the public and this musical is named for them. This musical is about the Newsboys Strike of 1899 in New York City. Newsies was nominated for Best Musical in 2012 and lost to "Once." Listen to this musical here.

7. Business — "Catch Me If You Can"

If there's one trait a business major needs, it's to be a smooth talker and to get things done. This musical follows Frank Abagnale Jr. who jumps town and cons his way into being a pilot, a doctor, and a lawyer. "Catch Me If You Can" was nominated for Best Musical in 2011 and lost to "Book of Mormon." Listen to this musical here.

8. Psychology — "Next To Normal"

A psychology major would be incredibly interested by this musical. The musical centers around a family with a mother suffering from bipolar disorder and also deals with themes of suicide and grief. "Next To Normal" was nominated for Best Musical in 2009 and lost to "Billy Elliot the Musical." Listen to this musical here.

9. Literature — "Beauty and the Beast"

There's no one that admires literature quite like Belle. This musical will give you a relatable protagonist and a fairytale to root for. "Beauty and The Beast" was nominated for Best Musical in 1994 and lost to "Passion." Listen to this musical here or the (in my opinion, better) 2017 movie version here.

10. Pre-Law/Criminal Justice — "Chicago"

If you ever needed a musical version of the pitfalls of the legal system, here it is. As well as being a Vaudeville experience, "Chicago" also features some really great music. "Chicago" was nominated for Best Musical in 1976 and lost to "A Chorus Line." Listen to this musical here (1997 New Broadway Cast Recording) or the (in my opinion, better) 2002 movie version here.

11. Medical — "Allegro"

Allegro follows the story of a young doctor and his adventures and struggles in his career and personal life. "Allegro" was technically never nominated for Best Musical, but the medical field was too significant to leave out. This was a production in 1947 and was written by Richard Rogers and Hammerstein. Read more about this medical musical here.