Why Snow Cones Are Hands Down The Best Summertime Treat

Frozen and sweet.

18

Every season has its own special treats associated with that time of the year. From the rich and warm flavor of hot chocolate in the winter, to anything pumpkin flavored in the fall, sweets and treats are some of the most memorable aspects of the four seasons. The summer is no exception to this rule. Summer is a time when the sun is at its warmest, making it the perfect time to go outside and BBQ with the family. However, being outside in the blistering heat is going to make you want something to cool you down, and what better way to cool yourself down than to relax in the pool with your favorite snow cone? Snow cones are without a doubt the best summertime treat, and today I’d like to explain why.

Snow cones, or shaved ice if you prefer, are frozen treats that consist of shaved ice (hence the name) flavored with a sweet syrup. Snow cones are the best treat for the summer for a number of reasons. For one, snow cones come in a variety of bright and vibrant colors that perfectly complement the season. Second, most snow cone shops host a variety of flavors. However, the word variety is somewhat of an understatement. The variety of flavors comes in the form of dozens and dozens of options. I’ve personally been to shops where you could try a different flavor every day of the summer, and still not have tried them all (though this does make for a fun little challenge).

One thing that the humble snow cone does not get enough credit for is it’s versatility. In addition to having a number of different flavor options, snow cones can have a multitude of toppings. Some of these include cream, sour spray and my personal favorite, gummy worms. Fruits are also a popular snow cone topping. One of the local shops in my hometown sells a special snow cone that is served in half of a hollowed out pineapple. The remaining pineapple chunks are then used as a snow cone topping. It takes a little bit longer to make, but the wait is well worth it.

Snow cones are the perfect treat for relaxing in the heat of the summer. They are a great complement to the blue ocean and warm sand of the beach, and are the best way to keep yourself cool in the sun. So next time you’re sitting outside in the scorching summertime heat, make sure you grab your favorite flavor of snow cone and have a great time. Personally, I recommend either Tiger’s Blood or Georgia Peach.